Guest BarbLess

Guest BarbLess

Went out today to try catch some good carp. This particular complex holds

some carp to 35 IB(amongst speciman tench etc), and is very popular with the

'Bivvy Boys'. With the tennis on, I was hoping any 'Bivvy Boys' would stay

at home.

Unfortunately, when I arrived my nitemare had come true. There was a plague

of them (Bivvy Boys) all around the complex. All you could see were green

'tents' all over, and for each one, 3 rods stuck out, lines everywhere.

On one lake there were 3 out of the 10 swims taken, and yet none of the

other swims were available for me to fish cause these guys were hogging the

whole lake.

When I went round and attempted to set up, I got 'OI MATE! I'M FISHING

THERE!'

I tried to explain there was no where else for me to fish, and I had a right

to fish this free swim.....all I got was a rather more aggresive reply. I

didn't want to take it further, as i have seen these situations get ugly.

These guys seemed to think they could cast 'anywhere' they like.

Basically, many of their baits were cast into swims on the farside bank....

areas they have no right to cast to. These guys seem unable to fish their

own swims...they have to hog the whole lake.

Every now and again one would reel in to check his baits, then take another

3 casts to get the bait back into the correct position...SPLOSH, SPLOSH,

SPLOSH, with the occasional one straight into the tree or lilly pad, then a

snap, with line and bolie/hook left hanging.

Then these Bivvy Boys just sit back waiting for their alarms to go off

whilst they make a load of noise, disturbing all the fish and genuine

anglers around them.

What makes me laugh is these Bivvy Boys make a hobby out of this, and even

feel achievment if they catch a fish this way...hmmmk.

Anyway's, fortunately on one of the lakes, a couple of Bivvy Boys were just

leaving. Surprise surprise they hadn't caught anything...fishing their baits

on the bottom in sunny/warm conditions in flaming June..nice one guys smile.gif .

And yet all these Bivvy boys were fishing the same tactics.

If these goons could realise that if they keep quiet the fish will feed at

their feet under the banks.

So set my rod up..freeline size 6 hook (barbless of course), with bread and

chum at the ready. I crept around, hunted a few fish down on the surface,

through stealth, and managed a 14 IB Mirror stalking around in less than 20

mins.

These dumb bivvy boys think I have some special bait or rig of

course....'Geez mate! what bait /rig you using mate??' Wow some of these

guys are wazzocks. I would like to say I feel sorry for these types of

anglers. They bury their heads in industry fodder carp magazines, never

learn the proper art of angling...just bung their baits out as far as they

can cast, always on the bottom, with their 3 oz + leads.....shame.

If a 'Bivvy Boy' sees a carp feeding on the other side of the lake,

something inside of him tells him he 'has' to cast to it..he seems unable to

walk around the other side, where he will obtain 'proper' bait presentation,

(freeline/floats, whatever). It seems as though he has it homed in on him,

that he has a better chance of catching, the further he is away from the

fish.

I worry how course fishing is evolving.....many youngsters taking up angling

with bite alarms and bivvys, with no idea how to catch fish.

I guess I'm lucky...ten years ago when I was a little nipper, my dad taught

me to fish with a float/loose feed etc etc. Now at 27, I see so many guys my

age who have absolutely NO IDEA ...they just let their 3 ounce leads and

bite alarms catch them their fish, whilst they snooze in their 'Bivvys'. How

can one feel achievement/enjoyement in catching carp like this?

Anyways...I guess thats up to them and not my business, but 'Bivvy Boys'

must learn to fish 'THEIR SWIM' and not all the others on the lake. They

must learn to keep quiet and generally think of others around them.

I feel it is up to the angling press/magazines/industy in general to give

information on the correct way to fish, and not 'money grabbing rubbish'

which litters all these carp magazines these days.

Hope you enjoyed my post,

Danny.

Guest Steve Burke

Hi Barbless

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a problem with some carp anglers. I think your best course of action is to have a quiet word with the owner of the fishery.

This is a topic that we've discussed many times on Angler's Net, and I too have had the same problem as you but solved it in the way I've just suggested. Use the search facility at the top right and type in such topics as "crap yobs".

However, we've agreed amongst ouselves on the Forum that we'd all pull together and not have a go at different branches of the sport.

Also do a search on barbless hooks. You may change your mind about whether they're always safer for the fish.

Please don't think I'm being critical in any way. As I said I've had the same problems myself. It's just that the members here have decided not to criticise people who fish differently to them, which as a newcomer to the Forum you won't be aware of.

BTW. congratulations on the fish! I bet that wiped the smile off a few faces!

------------------

Wingham Fisheries

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/fisheries/wingham.htm

Guest Zaphod

Wow Barbless, nothing like a venting of the old spleen. Unfortunately your post was "sad but true" I think a lot of it has to do with "Instant Anglers" . I too was taught the noble art by my Dad and fished for about 12 years before I dared to try to catch Carp.

Unfortunately this "Carp yob" syndrome is becoming more common (like base ball caps).

I agree also with your point concerning "money grabbing rubbish" in the Carp mags, I truly believe that this is because the writers run out of ideas, and possibly make these things up to fill articles. Some of the "Heath Robinson" in them are quite ghastly, and, I am sure, would spook any self respecting Carp to the other end of the lake.

Keep up the good work, fish your way and enjoy it. Most of these Bivvy boys will probably quit fishing after they get bored, because of constant blanking and sell thier gear (more cheap s/h Carp giddies for us).

Be lucky.. wink.gif

------------------

Best Fishes

Del

--------------

Zaphods just 'zis guy, you know..!

Guest Gaffer

Hi all, just got back from an all-nighter, caught Mirrors of 17lb 12oz and 10lb 10oz, luvly jubbly! biggrin.gif

Barbless, I 'm sorry to hear of these thoughtless anglers fishing for Carp, as Steve said, approach the fishery owner/manager with your concerns.

Nobody should have to put up with that sort of angler regardless of their chosen style of fishing.

We shouldn't slur all anglers because of others wrong doings as this just leads to divisions within our sport. wink.gif

All the best,

Gaffer http://www.BivvyBoyz.com wink.gif

Guest Chris Shaw

Sorry to hear about all that, gives the rest us a badname does it not? I have fished for carp for over 25 plus years and have had more arguments with other carp anglers than anybody else. It has got worse over the ten years or so.

It never used to be like that, we would all talk to each other no secrets of coarse. If you turned up at a lake and other carp anglers were already setup you would speak to them to ask were they were casting to. They would even reply,"Oh thinking of fishing that swim over there, hmmm I have a bait there at the moment but if are going to fish the swim I will move it". Yes believe it or not that used to happen.

Not now it seems, ask most now and you will get short shrift or a total blank, nothing, just a strange stare as you depart their swim.

Sadly this behaviour gives all us anglers who have respect for others a bad name, I for one do not like it. I have had whole sessions ruined by them.

One last thing, it is down to the fishery owners etc at the end of the day. Some syndicates I have fished in the past these people would be out after one session. I was introduced to a syndicate years ago by who is now a famous carp angler in his own right, he took me along and introduced me to the syndicate owner. I was interviewed in his study for almost a whole evening, it was mainly chat about my carp fishing. He kept asking questions like IF you fish my water, how would you approach it? Every question had a big IF in it. After several hours, he starting saying things like WHEN you fish my water etc. Then out of the blue he leaned forward told me the costs and asked did I have the cash with me, I was in.

The anglers Barbless speaks of would not have gotten through door.

------------------

Chris Shaw

They played on while the reel handles spun in unison.

[This message has been edited by Chris Shaw (edited 07 July 2001).]

Guest Newt
Originally posted by Steve Burke:

However, we've agreed amongst ouselves on the Forum that we'd all pull together and not have a go at different branches of the sport.

Well said Steve. However, in this case I got the idea he was mainly down on people who were acting rude rather than all carp anglers who do long-session fishing and pretty well have to "bivvy up". I know I've been guilty of the same sort of thing when speaking of those who ride jet skies at the waters I fish. I have phrased things so it appeared that every person who uses a jet ski is a rude, thoughtless, idiot. Lots are but some are not.

Barbless - why "barbless, of course"?

Guest BarbLess

Thanks for the replies.... to put all carp anglers into the category I described would be unfair, although fishing 3 rods on small lakes cannot be right, and most Bivvy boys I bump into are a pain in the bum.

If you fished with 3 rods fairly, you would have 3 baits within a 20 feet diameter of each other....no one would bother.

I wish the NRA would do more license checks, which would ease the pressures on many crowded waters.

I can't understand why these people bother fishing like they do....massive weights and alarms fishing for them why they sleep...what is the point?

I bought a copy of Carp World the other day, my excuse being I'm after a new 2IB test curve rod. I just coudn't believe the 'rubbish' in there. All these articles on 'special boilies' which claim to be 'miles better' than another boilie, the same size/colour, flavour.

Or a 'special rig' with 'special tubing' which catches more fish.

I felt how sad it is to think people believe this kinda stuff....they go out and buy the next magazine, where there is an article on a magnificent new bait or rig...and so it goes on.

Oh, and my 2IB T/C rod..I coudn't find one.....guess why?

Because companies don't bother making them now. Why? you ask...

Maybe because all these carp anglers have to cast to the horizon, and so they feel they need 2.5IB T/C and above.

Anyone know a nice through action rod?

I don't wanna go below 2IB...I fish close to snags, and nylon with 2IB T/C is just right for me.

Back to the topic in question, next time I will do as suggested and speak to the owners.

Guest Graham E

Unfortunately Barbeless the anglers you speak off are just around the corner trying to catch barbel now.

Whether it's any species you will find the thoughtless idiots.

I fished the Kennet last week. After feeding about 3 pints hemp / blend another angler came in and fished 10 yards downstream despite a mile plus of river free and put in more bait.

Thoughtless or "clever" I don't know,

To my pleasure after moving 2 swims further downstream of him was to release my barbel after taking them past his nose to a release point.

He was fishless.

Guest paul mc
Originally posted by BarbLess:

Oh, and my 2IB T/C rod..I coudn't find one.....guess why?

Because companies don't bother making them now. Why? you ask...

Maybe because all these carp anglers have to cast to the horizon, and so they feel they need 2.5IB T/C and above.

Anyone know a nice through action rod?

I don't wanna go below 2IB...I fish close to snags, and nylon with 2IB T/C is just right for me.

Back to the topic in question, next time I will do as suggested and speak to the owners.

[/b]

http://www.harrisonrods.co.uk/prolist.htm

try these for your rod if they dont already make one they will make one for you but they are not cheap.I have a ballista slim and can highly recomend them

I know what you mean about them part time fair weather fisherman

------------------

Regards Paul Mc(ANMC)

[This message has been edited by paul mc (edited 07 July 2001).]

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

Hmmm I've been out for the day with my family & decided to "pop"into Stapley water gardens angling center on the way home.

As Dian & i were looking at the portas/barrows a chap walked upto the carp rod section picked up a rod & proceeded to whip it from side to side as hard as possible!

The tip section flew off & missed Dians face by about 3inches mad.gif, we were facing him because we were trying to figure out what the hell he was doing.

I have a "bit" of a short fuse when it comes to my family & before Dian could say anything i'd picked up the rod tip & shot round the other side to have a "word" with the idiot!

I asked him what the "hell he was doing" & he told me "I'm checking the test curve"!!!

When i asked him how he figures out the test curve by whipping the rod like that he replyed "My mate said you've got to whip it like that & see how much it bends to figure out the test curve" by this time Dian & my mum had both come round to try & calm me down (it didn't work)!

I asked him how much carp fishing he'd done & he told me he'd never done ANY fishing!

I politley (well sort of) told him he was a total feckin idiot & if the rod tip had hit my wife i would've inserted the tip in one oriface & removed it through another!

I (well more Dian) then decided it was time to leave!

Now before you start tut tuting me let me explain something!

Dian & i have recently found out that she is pregnant again & the shock of that feckin rod tip heading for her left eye was enough to make me go into protection overload!

However after sitting down & having a cup of coffee i had calmed down enough to go & apologise to the chap but i didn't find him so i couldn't!!

------------------

TROGG (Alan)

my sites here

[This message has been edited by ALAN FAWCETT (edited 07 July 2001).]