Yoo Hoo im back

Guest Gray-Catchpole

Guest fisherman

Tried rubbing suntan oil onto them 49 plus the kiss of life but in the end they were added to the bean trench as fish blood and bone fertiliser biggrin.gif

Dave

Guest shimano49

really sorry to hear that mate,but atleast they died so that others might live,i would say that it was maybe the oil content within the pellets that caused their demise,but we already had a few people giving their opinions on this and i don't want to start all that up again,let's hope that you've learn't a lesson from this ie;don't rub suntan lotion on your carp when you catch em,unless of course it's van den eynde carp friendly suntan lotion,seriously though i'm sorry to hear of your troubled times you've.

keep on catchin'

shimano.

p.s.they've gone to the big pond in the sky,we'll be there one day to catch em!

Guest Bretty

Don't take this question the wrong way: IS it a bad thing if fish can not digest a bait? (this isn't really about oils just something someone said above)

I have often caught fish and kept them in a sack only to find they have crapped out my bait in the bottom of the sack undigested! So if a bait cannot be digested is that really a bad thing (just like us eating sweetcorn wink.gif)? Obviously It won't benefit the fish but it shouldn't harm it.

Oh welcome back Gray!! smile.gif

And with reguards to high oil content baits surely moderation is the key!

Bretty

[This message has been edited by Bretty (edited 16 June 2001).]

Guest poledark

Can anyone supply us with a documented account of carp fish deaths attributable to "high oil content"? All I keep seeing is a reference to Harefield and even this was not proved to be due to oil.

Hundreds, no probably thousands, of carp waters have been fed fish oil pellets and boilies for years and still the only "case" quoted is Harefield.

In my opinion the most likely effect of using "high" oilcontent baits would be to destroy the insect life.

I've said it before but I can show you fish which have positively THRIVED on pellets and fishmeals, but I have yet to see any that have died from eating them.

Just because they dont seem to digest very much of what they eat does not mean that the pellets are doing them harm, trout also pass most of what they eat without digesting it.

I would sooner feed my fish on fishmeal than on some of the distinctly dodgy stuff that is sold by bait dealers and poured into there homemades by many who make their own, at least it is a natural substance.

Just look at any list of additives available and ask yourselves if you would eat it? It seems to me that over the years almost every chemical combination known to man has been fed to carp and every time it happens it is hailed as the new wonder bait.

One last point, establishing what kills fish can be an extremely inexact science, indeed I would seriously question whether it is a science at all.

poledark

Guest Gray-Catchpole

now we are getting somewhere, nice one steve/bretty/poledark, this is what i was asking for, some real proof, one way or another, be it sillybait or any other product, bruno points out that the oil and protien can be harmfull in large doses, but we hear nothing of carp pellets, which where produced as a safe form of the same general idea, if the oils arnt digested, then as a few have said, they must be dispersed by the fish, one way or another, or does the simple formula of oil stay in the fish, and as has also been said, degrade the quality of life the fish leads, and actually shorten the fishes life, due to degregation of the immune system.

some real solid proof would settle this, has there been any real indepth research into this matter.

now, if you look at a pack of van den eynde fishmeal carp pellets, clearly marked on the pack is a typical analysis, of which protein is 33.0 percent oil 7.0 percent, the protein is vegatable origin.

this show me all i need to now about the pellets, and also info about how van do research the feeds they distribute, one of wich as you know by now is silly bait.

now take a company like mainline baits who distribute "The response crumball pellet" which has active 8 in, highly compressed base mix of ingredients designed for fast break down and flavour release, non of wich are listed.

who do you trust to be giving you the info you need, i will go with van over most other companys any day.

to end, i still havnt seen any real proof that silly pellets are a risk, but, im still open to informative proof.

oh, and thanks to all, that welcomed me back, after all thats all this thread was meant to be biggrin.gif

------------------

Email:

[This message has been edited by Gray-Catchpole (edited 17 June 2001).]

Guest Steve Randles

It is the fishes liver that breaks down the inherrent oils in baits. The only info of fish deaths that I have heard of where I think in Leicestershire somewhere. These fish had dropsy, a disease of the liver (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) and so could not break down the oils naturally, and therefore became bloated as a result and unfortunately died.

Can anyone throw any light on this ?

------------------

Tight Lines,Steve Randles

Anglers Rest

mailto:Anglersrest@go-fishing.co.ukAnglersrest@go-fishing.co.uk

Guest Alan Pearce

Gray and others, don't be mislead into thinking that because distribution companies like Van Den Eynde sell the products that they are safe for the fish to consume. They are in the main concerned only with baits that catch fish, sell in big numbers and show a high profit return. I think ALL bait companies should by law state on the packaging the content of the product. As is done in human and pet food products, after all there is no difference between bait and animal feed, is there?

I'm not suggesting here that there is anything wrong with Sillybait or any other products and proper label info showing ingrediants, and nutitional information would possibly put many fears to bed, as well as outlaw dangerouse substances.

Alan.

Guest shimano49

alan,please forgive me if i'm wrong,you say that these people are out to make a profit or can we call it a living,atleast van den are the only company so far,or so i believe who offer a pellet which are carp fiendly,if you was so against people who were out to make a few quid then you would not visit sainsbury's or MR PATEL to get your provisions or whatever.please realise that every one here,there and everywhere are out to make their living out of what they can or cannot get.just go out,buy your favourite or the fish's favourite bait and enjoy yourself,for tomorrow is another day.take each day as your last and chill,who cares who has what,when and why,just love and be loved and wait for the day to come when we all fish the big lake in the sky.

keep on catchin',

god be with you,

a born again,

shimano.

Guest chris larkins

coo gray i bet you are so glad to be back rolleyes.gif i sure do look forward to your next interview biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

chris L