Lunchtime Luring

Del_R

Took the opportunity of having an hour's lure fishing at lunchtime. Didn't catch anything. Didn't expect to catch anything - on account of I've never lure fished before and the water was very colourful and I'm not sure there were any fish in the length of canal I was fishing anyway (*) (Gloucester & Sharpness canal). But it was an opportunity to see how these lure thingameejigs work in the water and it sure beat wandering down to the garage for a sandwich and a newspaper. Most enjoyable and I think I may make this a regular gig.

(*) Apparantly some Zander and Pike have been caught recently on a stretch about a hundred yards back towards town, but as there were already a couple of guys fishing down there I figured I'd best take my splashing in the opposite direction.

Del

At this time of the year pike are more likely to feed mid-day so lunch-time sessions are not such a bad idea. I'd go for a spinner bait if I were you. Your local shop will probably put you right on what one of those is! Drop into all the likely nooks and crannies, work it close to the bottom. Its design is less likely to catch obstructions on strange waters.

If your area of canal has the usual debris of shopping trollies, dead cats, old bikes and the like then I'd also use a good braid line. Fireline is the real nutzz! 30 lb is pretty useful. Its strong enough to pull a shopping trolly into the bank otherwise you might loose a lot of lures :( .

I always carry a set of overalls to put over business wear should I be passing a likely water. Going back to work covered in mud and smelling of fish tends to frowned upon for some strange reason :confused: .

Can't remember the name of the stretch that we used to fish as it's a good few years ago but we did manage to catch a lot of quality Chub from it so bear them in mind. Do you still get the big Coasters going through to Gloucester? Took ages for the water to settle down afterwards I recall.

Paul

There was only one boat (a narrowboat) that chugged slowly by today. Occasionally there's a dredger or two that work this length and there are sometimes tall ships in the docks but that's sadly rare. Mostly it's pleasure stuff and so it's quite quiet at the mo'.

I think I tried everything but a spinnerbait today: a regular spinner, a couple of diving crankbaits (I think...), and a spoon. All of them looked far more fishlike in the water than out, and it was interesting trying to impart some realistic action into them.

A question - how does this "counting down" work? I understand the theory - cast in and count down until the lure hits the bottom (assuming it doesn't float, of course) and then recast but count down slightly less. I tried this but had no idea when the lure was reaching the bottom. It was quite windy out there and watching the movement of the line didn't help.

Cheers,

Del

Del_R:

A question - how does this "counting down" work? I understand the theory - cast in and count down until the lure hits the bottom (assuming it doesn't float, of course) and then recast but count down slightly less. I tried this but had no idea when the lure was reaching the bottom. It was quite windy out there and watching the movement of the line didn't help.

I'm a confirmed line watcher. I find it best to concentrate on where the line goes into the water. However it is a little more difficult in windy weather. Do make sure you allow the lure to sink on a tight line (and engage the reel) as you can expect to miss many takes on the drop if not.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

quote:

Originally posted by Del_R:

Took the opportunity of having an hour's lure fishing at lunchtime. Didn't catch anything. Didn't expect to catch anything - on account of I've never lure fished before and the water was very colourful and I'm not sure there were any fish in the length of canal I was fishing anyway (*) (Gloucester & Sharpness canal). But it was an opportunity to see how these lure thingameejigs work in the water and it sure beat wandering down to the garage for a sandwich and a newspaper. Most enjoyable and I think I may make this a regular gig.

(*) Apparantly some Zander and Pike have been caught recently on a stretch about a hundred yards back towards town, but as there were already a couple of guys fishing down there I figured I'd best take my splashing in the opposite direction.

Del

I've got a mate who's a fellow lure fishing nut who lives near Quedgley and when I go over to stay at his, we usually give the canal a bash at Hardwicke. It's really hard going though most times. There are big zander in there though because I've seen them grab match men's fish as they reel them in.

To be honest, lure fishing any time is great fun and it's great if you can do it in your lunch hours too. Personally for me & my mate that canal is too much like hard work and these days when I go over to his, we tend to drive to Tewkesbury to fish the Severn and the Avon for pike and zeds (zander) and we've had a lot of fish from there.

Going back to the canal, it can be coloured or it can be crystal clear and it's very deep. I've had my best fish using a spinnerbait very close to the bottom i.e. very deep.

[ 07. December 2003, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Suffolk Lad ]

I was indeed fishing the Quedgeley/Hardwicke section.

I'd heard that there were pike to be had in the turning bay along by the Pilot Inn bridge and I'd also heard that there had been some zander and pike caught recently in the section just off Sims bridge (still Quedgeley) so it was the latter section I chose for my first attempt (it being closer to work). I think I metioned that I couldn't fish exactly where I wanted on account of that area was busy so I just headed for some likely looking weedy areas. It was as much to do with trying out the different lures and seeing what they looked like in the water as catching fish... though of course catching something would have been nice! I shall persevere with a few more lunchtime sessions when circumstances permit.

The Tewkesbury suggestion is excellent. Many thanks. Though I fear it's a tad too far for a lunchtime. If I can get all my Christmas shopping out of the way and organise a free Sunday morning I may have a trip up that way sooner rather than later. Today would have been nice - the weather was lovely down here. Alas, I was doing the right thing and taking the good lady round the shops!

Del