The Friendly Fisherman

Vidar6

It looks like The Friendly Fisherman finally has been able to put together a website.

As of yet, only their lure range are available, but apparently lots of other item's are soon to follow.

http://www.thefriendlyfisherman.co.uk/

The lure section contains Cobb lures, that are not obtained from other retailers or mail-order shops, here in Britain.

However, a word of caution, the prices stated on the website are mind bobbling :mad: , they are trying to charge £19.99 for Burt's or £17.99 for Shallow & Deep Invader's.

That's substantially more expensive, than purchased from Dave Lumb or The Lure Shack. It's even more expensive than Harris Angling :confused: .

Vidar Thomassen

Hi Vidar, how the devil are you? By the way, nice to see you on AN.

To be more expensive than dear old Harris is indeed mind-boggling!

But to be fair to the Friendly Fisherman, on the two occasions that I have purchased from them, and through no fault of theirs, the goods have been faulty. In both instances I dealt with the boss and in no way could anyone have been more helpful, or genuinly friendly and sympathetic.

Yes, premium prices, but it is a free market. No, I don't buy from them very often! No, I don't understand their pricing policy either.

Lure prices, in the UK at least seem expensive - but not as expensive as beer, fags, petrol, etc. A good lure lasts me longer than a tankful of diesel - and gives a lot more satisfaction.

But, having said that, I'm interested in making some plugs of my own this close season (yes, I generally observe it... most of the time... sort of... but it would be easier if it was compulsory).

Getting back to the point: can anyone suggest the right sort of lathe for turning wood. I don't want to spend a fortune, or it sort of negates what I intend to achive. Is the stuff in Machine Mart any good?

Advice gratefully received...

Fenboy

I am just fine Peter.

What I don't understand is how someone can get away with charging up to 30-40% more than the competition.

But, I suppose the free market powers in the end will take care of non competetive companies.

Vidar

Fenboy, I use one of these cheapo lathes that use a standard electric hand-drill for a power source. Great, does everything that I could ask of it. Tip though, buy good tools. One good chisel is all you need.

What I use far more than a lathe is a power fret-saw, a good rasp and a piece of sand-paper.

Peter - and anyone else out there - I really would like to have ago at making my own plugs. But as I've never done it, I'd like advice. Should I start a new thread or is it okay to go from here?

Fenboy

Might attract more imput if you start afresh. Making plugs is easy. Making the paint job stay in place is not!! But the design is up to you, and you can be quite malicious if you want. When Mary the carp went anal fin upards a friend of mine produced a Mary Commemorative, an upside down floating carp! Didn't go down to well in some quarters! Perhaps it needed more lead!!!

I'm also toying with the idea of plugs painted as political notables, Tony Blair, for example, could be a sinker.

Or football clubs, in Man U colours it would be a fast sinker.

Prince Charles could be one of those surface plugs with big ears.

I've always fancied a Lucky 13 style plug in flesh pink. Ideal for casting violently after fleeing anti's. In that case they might be better in doggy-poo colour!!

Peter - might be a serious money maker for you.

Posted Image

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President