Fishing in the amazon

malevans

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same here John. All my angling slots for this year are booked up. :( Must go now as my single handed AFTM 10 rod has just arrived specially for the planned trip

Its cheaper if more than one angler books so give me shout if you fancy it. I plan to do a fortnight to get the most out of the flight....one week on the Xingu River and a session on the mexiana island. I have written to them regarding this and await response.

I once got in a row on the Internet angling club lists....the result was I met Geoff Maynard and Robb Stubbs plus 3 others Gatwick and found myself on the Ebro !!!!! Had a great time apart from being attacked viciously by a carp and having a serious chest infection for half the trip. Was great though and I caught the wee beasty posted in the gallery.

You're gonna fly fish for those cats?!

Wouldn't mind having a go at fly fishing one day. Had a chuck about once in a field with the plan to have a go at tiger fish with a fly in Zambia. the lodge never had any gear to hire though, so I've yet to achieve anything more than dasies.

I'd be interested to know what response you get from the company. Xingu river was one of the places I had been tepmted by. Also a place in Venezuela for the Payara. Haven't really studied all the info on the sites thoroughly. I'me looking into several options for next year atm. My main aim is Uganda for around Feb next year, and then probably somewhere in south america if the season fits in well with this (and my job which most years is on a farm, so summer June-Oct is out), though there is a possibility of going to the Congo river or a couple of west african countries for some serious sea fishing.

Wherever I go I'd have a fortnight at least. Partly to make the most of the journey. It's not that pricey to get to brazil I think, but probably a long journey. The internal transfers could be pricey. Also, 2 weeks gives plenty of time to suss out the location throughly, the techniques, the fish etc. I'd hate to travel somewhere and only suss things out at the end of the trip. Also, the longer you're there, the more chance you have of coming across a monster! I'm quite keen on the wildlife side too.

As you say, traveling alone makes things pricey, so would be keen to meet others interested in such adventures.

Not been to the Ebro, but am tempted now as a cheap destination with all the good reports. Tend to pass over Europe on my way to africa. Never fished between Jersey and Egypt!

Where is the galery you talk about btw? Don't see any link for one on this site...

John had a response from the site. They have put together what I wanted and recommended June to hit cats and "game species". Will not target cats with fly I am taking my 50lb class boat rod However a smaller Pirarucu is definately a fly quarry. Now where is that 1200 yard spool of gel spun backing.