Zander Fishing in the Fens

Guest JackPike

Guest JackPike

I am off on my biannual holidays in a fortnight a week in the Fens I am lokking for a campsite in the Ely araa any help with tha please, also I aim to catch my first zander I am not after a record breaker one of a pound will do any pointers on this please fellow Z anlers your zanderless Jack Pike

Jackpike - take a try at http://www.google.com and put in walleye fishing as your search terms. You should get a quick 105,000 hits, most of them dealing with how-to information on catching walleye. The Zander is so nearly identical that tactics should work the same.

Since you mention the fens, I assume the water is mostly shallow so concentrate on articles that deal with that sort of water.

Guest Kevin Hackett

Most of the drains and rivers in the Ouse system contain zander.

Try a small roach ( fresh dead or live ) in the margins and stay into the evening/night.

Try and pick somewhere with prey fish in the area.

You should then catch.

Guest phil hackett

My advice would be to take some fresh dead Gudgeon mate! I had 10 fish between 4 -11lbs one November night. Now that's fishing!!!

Guest JackPike

Cheers fellows for the advice I will take heed of what was said .I am also wondering is the the cutoff channel is open or still closed due to F&T. And does anyone know of any good campsites in the Ely Downham Market area cheers JP

Guest SAMCATGETTER

Hello Jack Pike, Here in the US, we have many specialized baits and methods for Walleye/zander. One fav of walleye here is nightcrawlers or lob worms. Cover the hook, leaving a trailing end of worm 5or6in. and a modest weight 18to24in. above the hook. Cast out in known to produce zander waters and retrieve in increments of 2to3ft. with small jerks of the rod with a minute or two between jerks. A tried and proven method. Best of luck...Sam

Guest Bob Hornegold

Kevin,

I would also like to catch my first Zander,

the area I will be fihing is Fen Drayton.

Could you give me some tips on the tackle/rigs required.

Guest phil dean

I've only ever had two zander and both were caught by accidentwhen fishing for perch using worm, interesting to note that the US guys use that as their main approach. I'd certainly recommend that you take a few with you just incase the Z's don't respond to the fish bait.

------------------

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Guest SAMCATGETTER

Hey Jack Pike, I'l make you an offer. I see that you are not going on holiday for about two weeks. If you would please e-mail me an address, I will express mail you a package of artifical lures that are top producers here in the US. (no charge mate) It would be interesting to find out if UK zanders like some of these offerings as much as our walleye do. Some of these would also be good for any kind of bass, or fish eating species. Hoping to hear from you soon...Sam