Broken rod top.

darrell.cook

Darrell stick with the reduced tip, it won't make a bit of difference. I broke a quiver tip in half from a JW Avon. Masterline charged me 12.50 to replace it. If you are looking at replacing a whole top joint then it will not be economical to do so. A fair few of my lure, fly and bait rods have had an inch or two off the top over the years without any noticeable difference. Some have actually improved by being a shade shorter.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Seph, I know that this is not the case. I had a previous JW Avon, which I actually bought off this site - through the auction. When it arrived the butt section was broken, looked like someone had stood on the tube ( Post Office, I guess ) I wrote directly to Masterline and asked for a replacement. At the time they were bringing out the new 11 / 13 JW Avon. They said they would only deal with a tackle shop. So I got the local shop to order one, three months later they said they couldn't do one - but in fairness replaced it with one of the new 11 /13 models. Naturally I was pleased !

One thing about the new model, is that the screw reel seat doesn't fit my 'pin. I bought one of the old ones at a boot sale ( this does not have the screw reel seat ) and this is the one that I've broken the top on.

I'm confident it will be OK with a replacement tip ring. Thanks everyone.