Do you sharpen your lures?

davedave

That's really interesting thanks guys, why do crushed barbs result in better hook ups? It's not that I dont believe you I just thought it would be the other way round.

Dave

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."

Often the hooks on lures need sharpening when they first come out the packet!

Test hooks by sliding them across your thumbail.

If they don't dig in and scratch the nail, they aren't sharp enough!

Hooks can become blunt again quite quickly, so check sharpness throughout the session.

(Crush the barbs for better hook-up as well. Also easier to get the hook out of yourself when the inevitable happens!)

It's worth checking the split rings too (The weakest link and all that!), a good example is the Shakespeare Big S, a great reliable lure, but often the furniture is often rubbish, I change the hooks (put on rapalas) and split rings on them and any cheapish lure (some are v good catchers) I buy.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

Why do crushed barbs result in better hook ups? It's not that I dont believe you I just thought it would be the other way round.

Because the barb stands out, more pressure is needed to overcome the resistance to penetration.

With the barb flattened down the hook goes in much more easily (and comes out more easily, but shouldn't if it's penetrated properly and the line is kept taut).

You can try it yourself using a piece of chamois leather, and using a barbed hook, then try again with the barb flattened.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Thanks again, will check the split rings as well. Yes I can see what you mean now Leon. And Budgie that's a great help, plus relating to the comment above the video worked fine for me.

Dave :)

As famous fisherman John Gierach once said "I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I like fishing because it's the one thing I can think of that probably doesn't."