Soft Lures

Del_R

Morning All,

Having lost two of my favourite lures over the last week I figured I could justify the purchase of some replacements, and I'd like to try some soft lures. I've already got a small Chubby Shad (blame the cold weather, mother!) but now I'm thinking of some of the more DIY long tailed, wibbly-wobbly (to use the correct technical term, I believe) efforts. A quick look around the appropriate on-line shops results in total confusion so I'm looking for some help. Basically, I don't know what size jig-head to purchase to go with what body and what size (stinger?) hook to tag on the end? Anybody point me in the right direction of a decent set-up that will serve as a good starting point for my own future deviations?

Many thanks in advance,

Del

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Del

Instead of Posted Image

... have a look at the vast selection of DIY jig-heads and tails etc at BassPro Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

Without any idea of your set-up, venue and target-species, it's not easy to give you any pukka pointers Posted Image

Here's an article & website that I found v useful though

DG :cool:

Thanks for the reply, DG. That's exactly the sort of thing I'm after - it's just knowing what size head to purchase for a particular body. I'll have a butchers around the site... I imagine with the dollar being as it is it'll be pretty cost effective for a UK buyer.

And then, of course, there's the added bonus of being able to kit oneself out for turkey shooting for those days when the pike aren't biting... I assume the EA licence covers anglers for this too..? ;-))

Del

quote:

Originally posted by Del_R:

....there's the added bonus of being able to kit oneself out for turkey shooting for those days when the pike aren't biting... I assume the EA licence covers anglers for this too..? ;-))

Del

_____________GULP !!!!!

____________ Posted Image

[ 03. March 2004, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Del,

As regards lead heads fo your soft plastics, all you need is a Floteq system. It's eaiser to mount your soft plastics, even with cold and wet hands. They do not damage the the soft plastic body to the same extent that traditional jig heads do.

You can select the hooks that you want to use. Therefore not limiting yourself to the sometimes unsuitable hook cast into the jig head.

When you hook a fish, the body swings away from the mouth of the fish, and so does not impede hooking. It also saves it from all those sharp teeth.

Checkout reveiws of the Floteq system at this link.

www.fishingmagic.com/review/reviewp...01&RPN=2465&v=1

I've looked in vain for an online Floteq dealer. Work permitting I'll have a cycle ride to a couple of local dealers tomorrow lunchtime. In the meantime, if anyone has found them online... what's the URL, please?

Kind regards,

Del