Still water barbel - cast your vote

Guest lyn

If you have not seen the Angling Times today then for all who are agains't barbel in still waters then pages 2 & 3 cover the issue biggrin.gif

The BS, Mike Burdon & Steve Pope met with the EA last week and to cut a long story short, the EA have agreed to do a study on the barbel that have been stocked into still waters from their Calverton fish farm.

Not victory yet but a giant step in the right direction for those of us who disagree with this parctice on whatever grounds.

So what ever your feelings, AT have set up an opinion poll. Phone 01733 465653 and give your opinion now!

One very happy lyn biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Guest Elton

I haven't seen any of the weeklies yet, Lyn - any idea how long this poll is running for? It would be nice to promote it a bit more on this site and, maybe, gee up a few other website owners to do the same.

Whatever the outcome, it will be interesting to see what the angling public thinks.

Tight lines,

Elton

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle

Guest Paul Williams

In a straight vote.....against, BUT still open to debate on the suitability of SOME stillwaters.

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

totally against frown.gif

AM have also got a piece about it on pages 6/7.

Along with the AT they have also got a piece about Ray Waltons plans to start a new Barbel group (this should be interesting)!!

For anyone who doesn't know Ray along with Chris Holley started the "Barbel Study Group in the 80's

------------------

TROGG (Alan)

my sites here

Guest Mike_pk_Waters

Against,

I gave up my Ashford ticket when they stocked there new match lake with barbel. This lake was built and stocked using a grant from the lottery with EA assistance, including the stocking !!!!

------------------

Life is not a dress rehearsal, enjoy it

Originally posted by Elton:

I haven't seen any of the weeklies yet, Lyn - any idea how long this poll is running for? It would be nice to promote it a bit more on this site and, maybe, gee up a few other website owners to do the same.

Whatever the outcome, it will be interesting to see what the angling public thinks.

Tight lines,

Elton

Hi Elton

I have no idea how long it is to run. When I phoned I fully expected a recored message but someone actually answered the phone. The number above is the Angling Times office number.

As for going onto the other sites, now his 'nibs' is in bed I intend doing just that biggrin.gif

lyn

Guest Keith Reeder

<Sigh...>

That does it: I'm going to vote "FOR" just to balance up the inherent bias caused by the fact that people who normally vote in these inane, pointless polls are those with an axe to grind, and cause the result to be skewed away from the reality - that the majority of anglers really aren't concerned either way.

I wouldn't have voted, because I'm one of the ambivalent majority: I don't want barbel stocked, but I'm convinced that there is nothing inherently unreasonable or unacceptable about this practice.

I'm just really, really sick of having this "non-issue" rammed down my throat!

What is it they say about "he who shouts loudest..?" frown.gif

That AT article is a long, long way from being a damning indictment of the practice, and the quoted arguments from the BS are extraordinarily weak - and they're even quoted as saying:

"the BS accepted some stillwaters may be suitable for the stocking of barbel"!!

Seriously: aren't there more important issues to focus on in angling than this particular "hobby horse"?

(No offence, incidentally...)

------------------

Yours,

Keith

Blyth, Northumberland

[This message has been edited by Keith Reeder (edited 25 July 2001).]