Still water barbel - cast your vote

Guest lyn

Guest fisherking

I have a question for everyone.

If we as memebers of A.N had our own poll could we count a vote off a person if they have never caught a barbel be it stillwater or river bound.

It seems to me that certain people who have been noticed to be very strongly in favour of a certain fish to be kept in running water only have not caught the same said species.

So how could one be so strongly viewed if they have had no experience of the species.

John.

Q.C

Guest dave k

As one of the anglers who has never caught a barbel, BUT would love too. i will give my vote.

I have followed this thread and several others on the same subject over the last few months.

after listening to the auguments for and against i have come down on the side that barbel should be kept in the rivers.

maybe my opinion is not as impartial as i have said, as i am predominatly a river Angler, who has not got barbel in a local river, and does not get a chance to travel to fish for them frown.gif

but as a personal opinion after reading all the auguments posted on anglersnet, i feel barbel should be kept in rivers only.

the reason why i am voting this way is that i feel those in favour of Barbel in rivers only have put there point across very well.

------------------

dave kennedy USSC Angling

Guest ALAN FAWCETT

Although i've had a few barbel on the end of my line i have always lost them (the last one being right at the net i swear the soddin thing winked then smiled before letting go of the hook) frown.gif

My vote will still be securely on the against side.

There are many anglers who have never caught or had the chance to catch certain species of fish but this should not stop them having an opinion of their own should it confused.gif

------------------

TROGG (Alan)

my sites here

I havent caught any still water barbel so I cant comment on the condition of the fish. My gut instinct is to agree that they should remain in rivers. BUT so many species have been transfered either by fair means or foul to the opposite situation that have adapted well to the change in enviroment. I therefore reserve the right to make a final choice. The 3 species that come readily to mind are carp in rivers, rainbows and chub in stillwaters, can either of these be said to suffer. All grow big and seem to prosper. Perhaps we need to wait untill a study has been done before we make any further choices

Guest Rob Ward

Before I make my point I'd like to make it clear that it would never appeal to me to fish for Barbel in still water, for me they are a running water species.

There appears to be no hard evidence that Barbel are caused any more undue stress than other species when introduced into overstocked commercial stillwaters. This I feel will be the downfall of the BS argument.

I think you're on a loser folks, the majority may agree with you but at the end of the day theres money being made from this practice that's going into EA Coffers. I think BS time and effort would be better spent elsewhere.

Personally I find great comfort in the fact that that the commercial stillwaters are packed, it leaves the rivers free for those who appreciate them and long may it continue. When the likes of PETA eventually get their act together they'll be marching onto Billy Makins land and not some deserted stretch of the Ribble or Severn.

Guest RobStubbs

I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with the general concensus here.

My own personally feeling is that I wouldn't want to fish for barbel in stillwaters but I have no great objection to their stocking in stillwaters. I'm a bit like Keith however and think there are much more important issues in angling.

I'd be interested to see what the pole in AT comes up with.

Rob.

Guest DerwentBob

I have no objections to stocking Barbel in commercial fisheries if it can be shown that they do not suffer as a result. No one seems to care when good stillwaters are ruined by introducing other species such as carp so why should barbel be any different. I personally find they are rather overrated but if people find pleasure in catching them then good luck to them. All this poll will show is that the vociferous minority who are involved in barbel activism can use a telephone, few people if any will be actively in favour of stocking into stillwaters and the vast majority either don't care or are mildly against because they have been told that they should be.

Before anyone says anything I have caught plenty of barbel from rivers in my time.

Guest fisherking
Originally posted by ALAN FAWCETT:

Although i've had a few barbel on the end of my line i have always lost them (the last one being right at the net i swear the soddin thing winked then smiled before letting go of the hook)  frown.gif

My vote will still be securely on the against side.

There are many anglers who have never caught or had the chance to catch certain species of fish but this should not stop them having an opinion of their own should it  confused.gif

Before I begin my reply to your post Alan,let me just say that I would never go to a stillwater to target barbel as far as I am concerned I would want to catch them from running water where there is a certain degree of skill and watercraft involved in locating and catching them.

My point here is why do you and Dave agree that they should not be stocked in stillwaters.

You both state that neither of you have caught a barbel so where do you get your opinions from.

It seems to me that a lot of people are led in there beliefs by others and have no experience in matters pertaining to the issues so therefore how could they honestly form there OWN opinion.

going back to the issue of stocking them into stillwaters I have seen no evidence to show that it harms the fish and when I have caught barbel from Worthington Resevoir near Wigan(not intentionally angled for)which were stocked in there over 20 years ago by the then water board they have been in pristine condition.

As I have stated earlier I would not go to a stillwater to aim to catch a barbel but if they thrive in these ponds should we deprive the disabled angler who cannot get to the river but would love to catch a barbel or the young angler who is not allowed on the river for fear of his safety.

There are less and less anglers using our river systems so these young anglers who have caught barbel on stillwaters will hopefully one day move onto the rivers.

John.

Guest Elton
Originally posted by fisherking:

It seems to me that a lot of people are led in there beliefs by others and have no experience in matters pertaining to the issues so therefore how could they honestly form there OWN opinion.

That's like saying that a jury in a murder trial can't listen to the evidence and make their own, informed, decision unless they've actually killed someone themselves confused.gif

Elton

------------------

Save Money On Your Fishing...

Click Below

Cheap Fishing Tackle

Guest Stephen

I have never caught a River Barbel but would love too!

Caught two stillwater Barbel's and was quite happy catching Barbel at the time! But now I wanna get a River Barbel.....

I don't mind seeing the Barbel in stillwater's it's good fun for some who have not really got a local river too catch river Barbel.

But if they can not breed in stillwaters that's unfair.

One thing that has baffled me is that if I have caught two Barbel's in one session and they are feeding does this not mean that they are happy?

Sorry if im tottally WRONG? lol,

Steve,