HELP! Which Rod, type size etc?

Mack

Just a quick one, I’m currently located approximately 100 miles off Port Harcourt Nigeria on a vessel, working. Fishing prohibited..............however, this is too much of a good opportunity to let slip so myself & a few pals are trawling the internet looking for suitable kit to buy when we get home to use out here.

It has to be compact which appears to slot into the Penn Overseas Pro range & man enough for the job but we are unsure of the type of rod & what class i.e. 20-30-40-50lb range, boat rod, spinning rod or both.

There are no experts among us hence the questions.

For what it’s worth we know there are shark, tuna & dorado just to name a few so any advise would be good.

Thanks in advance.

Mack

Mack

Get yourself some vertical jigging gear, the alcedo range is pretty good as is the new Fox trek range Heavy duty fixed spools designed for the job will cope but they are not cheap. You will also need briad in the 520-80lb range fluorocarbon rubbing leaders and heavy duty traces and swivels.

Shops such as Graingers in South Kensington, Leslies of Luton, North East Tackle Supplies and Rok-Max should all be able to help.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Mack

Get yourself some vertical jigging gear, the alcedo range is pretty good as is the new Fox trek range Heavy duty fixed spools designed for the job will cope but they are not cheap. You will also need briad in the 520-80lb range fluorocarbon rubbing leaders and heavy duty traces and swivels.

Shops such as Graingers in South Kensington, Leslies of Luton, North East Tackle Supplies and Rok-Max should all be able to help.

Cheers Tony

I’ll give the lads in the ROV shack the heads up then it’s any man for himself!

North East Tackle sounds just the ticket, not far from me when I get back……..if I don’t do the deed online prior to that.

Thanks again, no doubt I’ll be back at you for more tips & info.

Mack

Cheers Tony

I’ll give the lads in the ROV shack the heads up then it’s any man for himself!

North East Tackle sounds just the ticket, not far from me when I get back……..if I don’t do the deed online prior to that.

Thanks again, no doubt I’ll be back at you for more tips & info.

Mack

This is a situation where a good shop would be better than the internet even though you will probably pay a little more. You'll be able to handle the items and have expert advice so can be sure your gear will perform as you need it to when you are too far away to easily replace it.

An expert could do fine buying online but for the rest of us, it helps to see & feel what you are buying.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Aah Teesside, Gods country

If you're looking at spinning rods then you might want to look for rods that can handle 3 or 4 oz lures, not many can and you might want to have a look and feel one in the flesh to see if it will do what you want, shark rods are a little different in that you won't be casting anything any distance more over the side and let the tide drift out your baits, depending on the size of the shark you could be looking at a 40lb class rod or so maybe 30lb depending on the species

You'll need some wire for traces if you're targetting shark as you'll get bitten off with ordinary mono aand if you're looking at spinning rods as a preferred option then you'll be better off with a fixed spool reel rather than a multiplier

If theres more tuna and dorado around then you'd obviously be better off fishing for them given the greater numbers but spinning or lure fishing for them will be the way forward and the gear for them will be easier to scource but for sheer adrenelin the sharks will do it for you even if theres not so many of them

You might be better looking on some of the websites that cater for the Southern American sport fishers as thats the type of gear you'll be looking for and a lot of it is'nt available in the UK due to its slow take up or demand, some of the Bass Pro spinning rods will be designed to be telescopic or multi section and will fit the bill , worth having a look at Cabelas as well

Thanks Newt, my sentiments exactly but that internet shopping just runs away from you sometimes!

This is a situation where a good shop would be better than the internet even though you will probably pay a little more. You'll be able to handle the items and have expert advice so can be sure your gear will perform as you need it to when you are too far away to easily replace it.

An expert could do fine buying online but for the rest of us, it helps to see & feel what you are buying.

Cheers Brian, I’m sure you can appreciate my struggle, fishing Lockwood doesn’t require the same kit!

Incidentally, I see we have just fired up the “smog machine” that divides Redcar from the Town once again, no more dark nights!

Aah Teesside, Gods country

If you're looking at spinning rods then you might want to look for rods that can handle 3 or 4 oz lures, not many can and you might want to have a look and feel one in the flesh to see if it will do what you want, shark rods are a little different in that you won't be casting anything any distance more over the side and let the tide drift out your baits, depending on the size of the shark you could be looking at a 40lb class rod or so maybe 30lb depending on the species

You'll need some wire for traces if you're targetting shark as you'll get bitten off with ordinary mono aand if you're looking at spinning rods as a preferred option then you'll be better off with a fixed spool reel rather than a multiplier

If theres more tuna and dorado around then you'd obviously be better off fishing for them given the greater numbers but spinning or lure fishing for them will be the way forward and the gear for them will be easier to scource but for sheer adrenelin the sharks will do it for you even if theres not so many of them

You might be better looking on some of the websites that cater for the Southern American sport fishers as thats the type of gear you'll be looking for and a lot of it is'nt available in the UK due to its slow take up or demand, some of the Bass Pro spinning rods will be designed to be telescopic or multi section and will fit the bill , worth having a look at Cabelas as well