Binoculars

Dick Dastardly

Not cameras maybe but I thought this would be the best place to ask!

Thinking about getting a new set for fish watching any sugestions to what make/what magnification please?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Budgie

It depends on your budget of course I would stay away from the travel binoculars (those with an objective size of 25mm or less as they do not perform as well in low light around dawn and dusk which is when you would be expecting to use them.

Also don't go for too high a magnification 8x or 10x is more than sufficient any more than that and you start to get image shake.

I am not a fan of zoom lenses on binoculars as they just add weight and tend to produce a darker image.

Given the proximity to water full waterproofing by nitrogen purging would be a good idea but this will add to the cost.

There a few binoculars that will fit the bill at prices from £60 upwards it would depend on what you want to spend the Bushnell H2O Porro prism is a mid price binocular that ticks these boxes and is available for around £100 I would definitely get a look at them first as I have not used them myself and they may not suit you indeed I would recommend trying out any of the binoculars you fancy first to see if they are what you want.

Companies like In Focus do open days at nature reserves in Kent Sussex and these are great events to try things out without spending any money.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Lens quality is everything, and that's what you pay for.

(Poor quality lenses will give a 'milky' view and/or too much distortion apart from at the centre of the field of vision)

Two figures (say) 10x25 or 10x50

The first is magnification, the second brightness.

The higher the brightness figure, the better to see in fading light.

Field (or angle) of vision is also important.

A low field of vision makes it harder to locate a small object, especially if it's moving, and difficult to keep what you are trying to see steady (as does too high a magnification).

I prefer a 10x50 with a wide angle lense, but they need to be of good quality.

Best to try a number of binoculars in the shop, and you should soon notice the difference in quality of vision, even if all the numbers are the same.

Size may also be a consideration, ie do you want a pair handy in your top pocket, or will they remain inside the bivvy ready to be picked up?

Generally larger binoculars will give you a better quality for a lower price than compact binoculars of similar optical quality. (In fact you might want two pair! One for the pocket and a more powerful heavy large pair for seeing further in better detail and stargazing etc)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Spend about £400ish on a pair of Leica Ultravid 10x25's. Small (foldable). Brilliant (in all light conditions) and they'll last you a lifetime. The perfect fishing binoculars to slip into your rucksack side pocket as far as I'm concerned.

Paul

I was hoping to get a suitable second hand/old fashioned! pair of Ebay for under £20! So 10x50 as opposed to 12x50 and any particular makes /models to look out for?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Budgie, If you go for 10x50 they will be quite a large set of binoculars as the 50mm dia lens dictates the size and weight, but as Leon states the larger the lens the better the performance in low light.

I use for my fishing 10x25 wide angle sports binoculars made by Praktica, they are small, lite and easy to carry and do not cost the earth for quite good quality, i have had mine over 8 years now without any problems.

Look on e-bay for either Praktica or Tasco and i am certain you will obtain a set for under £20 which will serve the purpose.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

The sports pair look good, also if you look you may find some Nikon as well, good luck.

Yes i did mean 10x25. :thumbs:

Interesting and a good price.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bresser-12-x-40-comp...p3286.m14.l1318

Also have a look on Amazon they have some great prices for bins.

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.