Changing attitudes.

Guest Peter Waller

Originally posted by Peter Waller:

Perhaps the question could have been 'why do you choose to fish as you do?' For many of us it is the style of doing rather than the result that matters.

Ahhhh, well in that case I'll tell ya why I choose to use the style that I do. wink.gif

With a young family (4yr old & 9mth old) and being a modern man (no comments please! biggrin.gif ) I like to do my bit at weekends to lighten the load on the missus.

So if I fish Friday night through to Saturday morning I get 15 hrs of fishing, yet I'm only missing from my children for a couple of (awake) hours.

I then carry on the weekend doing the 'family man' bit which I wouldn't have any other way.

I love fishing for Carp, so night fishing for them using bite alarms is the most efficient/effective way for me to fish.

With only fishing 15hr sessions (mostly in the dark) I have to cram as much watercraft and effort in catching my beloved prey as possible. My catch rate since May of 37 Carp, 9 upper twenties, reflects that.

I can also turn my hand to still water Match Fishing as I did in the early 80's winning the first three matches I entered. (I did too well, too soon and became bored)

However, my biggest angling weekness is the River which I've decided to dabble with.

What is really wierd is that when I fish the river I rove with just the 1 rod and prefer to touch leger. (badly! rolleyes.gif )

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 06 December 2001).]

Guest Mike Connor
Originally posted by Peter Waller:

As the fellow who brought it up, let me explain, as best I can.

Perhaps the question could have been 'why do you choose to fish as you do?' For many of us it is the style of doing rather than the result that matters.

<END QUOTE>

Seems fair enough at first glance. I have no doubt you meant it that way too.

However, asking people to justify their actions, is akin to negative criticism of those actions, and often results in argument.

Even simple discussion ( non-argumentative)may be difficult with some things. This subject is one of those things smile.gif

The simple answer to the quoted question is, "because I like it". It also probably the best answer of all.

However, you might like this attempt at an answer as well ! smile.gif

What great and glorious emotions, move the minds and souls of men,

passions, thoughts, some brilliance, a stroke of genius now and then,

sometimes for seeming simple things, to catch a fish, or cast a fly,

at other times for complex issues, how a man may live, or even die.

Each man goes his way, and thinks his thoughts, very rarely certain,

who knows if this may be of consequence, beyond the final curtain?

is there then such a veil? or is this simply wishful thinking, pure illusion?

man, no more than biological coincidence,

in nature but a brief intrusion?

The plans and schemes of many mighty men, have crumbled into dust,

why do men aspire? Think great thoughts, or even fish? Perhaps they must?

Skills and knowledge, hard won in many battles, may make some men wish,

that such battles had been better waged, not upon their fellows, but on fish?

Despite multitudes of words, a thousand times a thousand books and letters,

written on the subject, some by lowly men, and by their apparent betters,

no man can say with certainty, despite all that he may dream and wish,

why he sallies forth, and then returns content, from the pursuit of fish.

It seems there are at least as many simple grounds, and complicated reasons,

why men go forth to seek their finny quarry through the changing seasons,

Atavistic drives? the wish to conquer? or to eat? It is basically a mystery,

a fascinating puzzle which has followed men, for all their short and gory history.

Try not then to explain the reasons, why men cross river, plain, and ocean,

just to pursue a fish, which for many others, would be a very foolish notion, think your thoughts, and go your way, uncertain, like multitudes of others,

but remember, unlike many most unfortunate men, all fishermen are brothers.

Those you meet per happenstance, on pond or river, mighty sea, or stream,

are there for similar reasons to your own, they chase the self same dream,

look not for differences, or argument and anger, hard words and strife avoid,

greet your fellows, share their hope and passion, you too will then be overjoyed.

Of all the things a man may do, angling is perhaps one of the least offensive,

some men sally blithely forth, with little thought, to fish, others are more pensive, despite their many differences, colour race or creed, foolishness or pride,

they are bound by chains, which many others, all their lives will be denied.

You may strive for power, riches, glory, for some unimaginable treasure,

but none will be as lasting or as sumptuous, or return in such full measure,

the joy and peace spent fishing, alone, or with companions and good friends,

solace, pleasure, pure contentment, which all these things transcends.

Too much praise you say? Overstatement, hyperbole? wild exaggeration?

I think not, for I have come to know these things, the peace, the wild elation,

soothed and comforted in darkest hours, calmed, excited, reassured,

patience, expectation, hope, fulfilment, many of my ills have cured.

Take up your rod and line, and venture forth along the dancing wave,

ignore your ills and wants, at least for a little while, be no man´s slave,

believe me or believe me not, just try at least, and you will surely see,

that above all other things, a man goes fishing, simply to be free.

TL

MC

Guest phonebush

I suspect there is no simple answer, some shorter than others but no simple answer.

I have most of you at a disadvantage. I once, as a child, helped a "fisherman". Less than noble we filled fresh fish contracts the cheapest way possible. Now this guy was no angler. We used Mr. Nobel's pack bait when necessary. What a tragedy that was. I owe angling a lot, but, I have taken literally tons more than my share as a fisherman. Without laws forbidding "fishing" Americas rivers would be void of fish. Some states even forbid ground bait today.

Without discussions like this anglers can not have a feeling of compairative accomplishment - mono-a-mono so to speak. If you can't critize your friends who can be constructively critized?? Certainly opinions are like arce holes, everyone has one. smile.gif

Phone

Guest TheDacer

Why do you fish as you do?

I know it's an old point, but there's Hunters and there are Trappers.

Hunters take what comes, are ready to keep moving.

Trappers go for the big fish. Have the tenacity to sit it out in almost all conditions.

Neither is better than the other.

Bite alarms are great for Trapping. Not much use for Hunting.

But why do we fish the way we do?

It's just that some of us are drawn to one approach rather than another. And I expect Hunters have always argued with Trappers and they always will.

Guest catchaplenty

If any methods are acceptable why dont you just put a big net through the lake/river and then your sure to catch a big carp.Winter would be as good as summer then.

Dave wink.gif

Guest Peter Waller
Originally posted by catchaplenty:

If any methods are acceptable why dont you just put a big net through the lake/river and then your sure to catch a big carp.Winter would be as good as summer then.

Dave  wink.gif

The simple answer is, because that would not be angling! According to my Oxford Dictionary 'angling' refers to catching fish with a hook and line. It also says that it means 'to seek an objective by devious or calculated means'.

Dave  wink.gif

Been there, done that! Far too easy! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Guest catchaplenty

Hi Peter, yes I did know the oxford dictionary description of angling and thats why I did say "catch a big carp" and did not use the term angling. I think some people consider any method is o.k. as long as there's a good picture at the end. Bite alarms have a place like every other method but how can casting three rods to the horizon and going to sleep be considered devious or calculated.

Dave

....but how can casting three rods to the horizon and going to sleep be considered devious or calculated.

Dave

Hi Catchaplenty,

Carp fishing, as you'd know if you've tried it, invloves locating the carp first and foremost. wink.gif

Once you've located the carp, which could be anything form inches to 140+yds from the bank, you need to then cast to them.

Remember, some carp waters are 140 acres in size and only contain a dozen or so carp! eek.gif

Once you have cast to where the carp are, or at least think they, are you can then set the trap by baiting up a small or large area, depending on the feeding habbits and size of water.

So by finding them, setting a trap and then trying to fool them with your rigs you could say you are being devious and calcualted, but that depends on how you see it I suppose! wink.gif

------------------

All the best, Gaffer

Anglers' Net Members Club

Guest catchaplenty

Hi Gaffer,if you say so, but why after going to all the trouble of locating and setting a trap with some well thought out rigs would you then go to sleep. I think if I had put all that effort into catching one I wouldn't be able to sleep due to excitement.

I think that our sport has evolved in various ways and some we like and some we dont, however in Peter's original post I think he was making the point that an electronic bite alarm takes the fishing out of fishing.I know I always sound anti carp, but I consider myself an angler and if I catch a fish I want to feed, cast, strike, and land it myself, not have something or body say "hey Dave, you've got a bite.