What Line b/s

kas

Hi,

I need to renew my line, and am a bit undecided on what breaking strain line I need.

I fish a local 4 acre pond for fun and have currently on my reel DAIWA monofil 8lb, I have a lot of success and generally catch tench, bream and the odd carp (normally up to the 10lb mark), I have even had a couple of smallish pike already this year (5 and 6 lbs). I dont go after any particular fish so I need a line that will cover me for small fish but also if I do get into something big (the pond holds lots of carp up to about 28 lbs I am told) I want to be able to handle it.

Should I stick with 8lb line or will I get away with using a 5 or 6lb line.

Thanks for your help.

kas

I think it will really depend on exactly what you want to catch. If you want to target the large carp then you will more than likely want to use large baits. For this you could use a 15lb mono mainline or if there are no snags around a braid line for neater presentation.

When fishing for smaller fish such as roach use the lightest line you can get away with, 2-3lb at most.

If there are lots of snags around then by all means step up the BS but on a typical commercial water you shouldnt need to. I have brought in an 8lb mirror on a 2.5lb mainline and 2lb hooklength. Its all about balancing the test curve of the rod with the bs of the line, you can use a lighter line with a light test curve and still bring in heavier fish than the bs because the rod is absorbing most of the thrusts and dives.

On the negative side you shouldnt use a light line with a heavy rod because there is no give in the rod to absord the pressure from the fighting fish so the line will easily snap.

I cant think of a reason why you shouldnt use a heavy line with a light rod though. Anyone?

A heavy line could spook the fish so using this as your only mainline could make you lose out but this could be countered by presentation such as ledgering so the line is on the bottom.

A heavier line also means drastically reduced casting ability, especially if your only float fishing.

Perhaps a happy alternative is to take two rods, one for float fishing using a light line and another heavier rod for the bigger boys. You could fish both by using the heavier as a sleeper rod with a bite alarm and continue to fish the float rod for everything else. If a big carp takes the small bait and snap the line then, as MAXALDO would say "Gutted"

I cant think of a reason why you shouldnt use a heavy line with a light rod though. Anyone?

Casting - it'll be a nightmare!

You don't say what rod you're using - that's important. Assuming you're using a commercial-style float rod, I'd go for a line of 5-6lb and suit my hooklength to whatever I'm expecting, i.e. lighter for small fish and heavier (but not stronger than your mainline) for bigger ones. Ignore the fact the carp go up to 28lb, unless you're specifically targetting them and trying to avoid everything else.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

All though I totally agree with the rest of your post I dont understand this?

I dont really use much braid but I understand its thinner than the equivelent strength mono so it wouldnt be seen so easily.

I'm probably wrong though :rolleyes:

I dont really use much braid but I understand its thinner than the equivelent strength mono so it wouldnt be seen so easily.

I'm probably wrong though :rolleyes:

As a hook length (all though I believe you should never use ultra thin braided mainlines as hook links though) yes maybe but as a main line it doesnt really affect presentation.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!