Tackle Lifts

msutton

This question is really aimed at Peter Waller who appears to be an authority on the use of these devices when lure fishing. I thought I would post though so that everyone could benefit from the answer :)

I am thinking about using these as I feel it may help me to fish my local water's shallow margins with spoons.

I realise they life the lure on the retrieve but do they lift it so much it becomes a surface lure? I'm a little confused as to how it can give just the right amount of lift.

Also, how does this affect the casting/action of an already fairly heavy spoon, such as the Kuusamo Professor 0?

PS. Anyone who doesn't know what these are... they are paravane like devices used in sea fishing to life your terminal tackle over snags on the retrieve.

[ 03. December 2004, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: msutton ]

I use the John Roberts tackle lifts. With a spoon, and probably any spoon, the tackle lift can prove very useful.

I put the lift abover the trace about 500mm from the lure, less in shallow water. Casting is a doddle, well, no problems so far. Basically start your retrive, let the lure drop back, jerk and the paravane comes to the surface, and probably so does the spoon. Let it drop, soon as the vane goes under you know the spoon is 18" or whatever under the water. You can be as creative as you wish.

These vanes are also excellent for bringing deadbaits to the surface for a quicker retrive, or to lift them over an obstacle. Carpies might also find them useful, especially when fishing at a distance.

Thanks Peter. How should I secure one onto the line? I'm using 50lb fireline through to a fox solid wire trace.

So the distance from the lure to the paravane sets the depth for the retrieve? Is that correct?

Sounds like an awful lot of line would need to be out for casting, if I'm fishing in 5ft of water and I set the paravane 4ft from the lure, I'll need probably 5ft of line from the tip of the rod when casting, when wading this could prove difficult with a 7ft rod. Or have I got it all wrong? :D

The Roberts device is grooved to allow it to be secured where ever you want it on a line. Personally I have made some short traces with the lifts on, just incase a pike takes a fancy to one.

The distance from the lure to the vane is, to a degree, depends on how deep I want a lure to drop back before the vane disappears from view. Its position must effect the running depth to a degree, dependant on retrieve speed, but you certainly don't need 5ft gaps!

The best way is to put one on the line and play! Its versatile, you can be creative, its another string to your bow! Personally I think it is a must have accessory.

Blimey. Another example of something being used in coarse fishing that sea anglers were using decades ago :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Is this what I want?

a Roberts Lead Lifter

"John Roberts Lead Lifters

Simple but effective. Need to be tied into the rig for best results"

If not, any idea where I can purchase these? The only reference on Google for "Tackle lifter" is this forum :)

[ 04. December 2004, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: msutton ]