SATA DVD Writer Problem

riverside

My computer had two IDE hard disks, an IDE CD writer and an IDE DVD writer. I decided to replace the DVD writer because it stopped working properly. I got a SATA DVD writer but I can’t get it to work with my computer. When it is connected, the computer reboots all the time. I can’t even get into the BIOS or boot menu. The computer does a memory count then just reboots. Even if I press the F2 of F11 keys, the screen shows entering Setup or boot menu but still reboots. Should I have got another IDE device or is there something I can do to get the SATA device to work. I have tried it on both SATA ports on the motherboard and that doesn’t make any difference.

Edited by riverside

My computer had two IDE hard disks, an IDE CD writer and an IDE DVD writer. I decided to replace the DVD writer because it stopped working properly. I got a SATA DVD writer but I can’t get it to work with my computer. When it is connected, the computer reboots all the time. I can’t even get into the BIOS or boot menu. The computer does a memory count then just reboots. Even if I press the F2 of F11 keys, the screen shows entering Setup or boot menu but still reboots. Should I have got another IDE device or is there something I can do to get the SATA device to work. I have tried it on both SATA ports on the motherboard and that doesn’t make any difference.

Would need motherboard make and model to help you out.

If your board is running IDE as well as Sata I would suggest it might simply be your new sata cd drive Is sata 2 or sata 3.

3 is backwards compatible to 2 but on a lot of older boards you can get issues if you push them too hard with newer sata devices on the 1st gen connection.

On older bios you can also get issues with using IDE and sata mixed, they are usually resolved with bios updates for the motherboard!

Regardless...need to know board make and model to really diagnose

Would need motherboard make and model to help you out.

If your board is running IDE as well as Sata I would suggest it might simply be your new sata cd drive Is sata 2 or sata 3.

3 is backwards compatible to 2 but on a lot of older boards you can get issues if you push them too hard with newer sata devices on the 1st gen connection.

On older bios you can also get issues with using IDE and sata mixed, they are usually resolved with bios updates for the motherboard!

Regardless...need to know board make and model to really diagnose

Thanks for your reply. The motherboard is Asrock K8 Upgrade - NF3

Thanks for your reply. The motherboard is Asrock K8 Upgrade - NF3

Yeesh! that's an old one!

http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Mode...-NF3&o=BIOS

Been a few bios updates since release..might be worth trying one if your happy to do so.

Other than that it's a minefield of possibles!

Try another cable,

another drive,

remove other drives and test with only the sata one connected

Restore bios to factory defaults and test.

Yeesh! that's an old one!

http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Mode...-NF3&o=BIOS

Been a few bios updates since release..might be worth trying one if your happy to do so.

Other than that it's a minefield of possibles!

Try another cable,

another drive,

remove other drives and test with only the sata one connected

Restore bios to factory defaults and test.

I’ve tried another cable and also tried only having only the SATA drive connected but still it doesn’t work. I might try a BIOS upgrade. If that don’t work I’ll probably get an IDE DVD writer