The Canoe Access Dispute

It's no secret that there's a very live dispute between sections of the angling community, and those who believe our citizens should have a right to navigate our inland waterways.

It's also no secret that sections of the canoeing community view recent attempts by the Angling Trust to enforce landowner prohibition of navigation through certain stretches of river as a trip back in time to the Enclosure Acts.

This is heavy stuff. It's not just about a few anglers and canoeists throwing stones at each other (although the reality is that that's whats actually happening on the ground).

The Government maintains that it's up to anglers and canoeists to sort it out, and that it's not a matter for Government to get involved in.

I think they're wrong on that, but what do I know?

A question to an educated audience ... what do you think we should do?

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

These days, I don't go fishing often, and I don't go canoeing often either. Maybe once or twice a year.

How often do I get abuse thrown at me? Very rarely. It happened once a few years ago. But I generally find those situations are avoidable and very few and far between.

As long as you refrain from going either angling or canoeing, then you should be safe.

Edited by andy_youngs

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig