Business Etiquette

Jeff S

I've seen a few comments on dodgy business practices on this forum. Issues with specific products and occasionally with a business. I won't name and shame them at the moment, but I will say they are based in Leeds. (With Eltons permission of course)

The issue.. I placed an order through this company for a Panasonic DVD recorder, multiregion, you name it this had all the bells and whistles. I placed the order on Dec. 8 and was told that it may not be available for Christmas. Not a problem. I placed the order for a friend who didn't want to let on to his wife that he was making a major purchase.

Needless to say I called this afternoon to verify that it would not be arriving before the holiday and was told that the item was no longer available and that panasonic no longer offered them. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Now why would I not be notified when they discontinued the item? They had my phone number and email as well as my address. Surely it would have stated on their website that they had a limited quantity and it would no longer be available, or when they called to tell me when it might be arriving they could have told me then. At least I would have had the option.

So is this a common practice for businesses? Discontinue an item after its been paid for :mad:

[ 22. December 2003, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Dvarcet ]

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

I take it you were not on the vendors premises when you made this purchase. In which case it is very bad practice for them to take payment before the goods are despatched.

Have a look here for your legal rights, and this is from the seller's perspective.

[ 22. December 2003, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: Lid ]

Thanks Lid, you are correct I did order it from their website.

Interesting information. I hadn't thought about looking for the British equivalent to the Better Business Bureau. Not sure what I'm going to do as yet. I don't want to rat them out completely. It could have been a simple mistake.

I've complained to the company and will have to wait for an answer. I didn't get very far on the phone. Just the usual.. "Well would you like a refund?" :mad:

[ 22. December 2003, 10:55 PM: Message edited by: Dvarcet ]

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...