1st lure session

Anthony78

Thats a great idea. never fished the avon. Theres A couple of pools down by junction 1 on the M50 controlled by the baa, any idea if old esox resides in any of these.

ant

Effort equals reward!!

Yep, Uckinghall, Mythe and Apperley have a few, unfortunately you seem to have the "get rid of them brigade" present at times, found a couple dead in the margins.

Not big about 5/6lb at most.

[ 25. April 2004, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Nugg ]

that does anoy me, I've been a match angler for about 10 years or so and have often been plagued by a pike on the river teme while feeder fishing but i would never consider killing one.

Which of these pools do you think would give me the best chance of catching a few small ones. just so i can get some confidence in the tackle im using?

Effort equals reward!!

Considering that you intend to use the lure, the biggest, most open, less tree cover, would be Mythe, most likely to catch Apperly, but a lot of tree cover, parking a bitch, compromise of the three but smaller, Uckinghall, but remember they are not full of Pike.

I tried lure fishing Apperley a while back and didn't get any joy from either pond. Did lose my favourite spinnerbait on an underwater snag though and did get scratched to buggery when I took the "via thorns" path to the ponds instead of the "cross field" path. I must go back.

Regards,

Derek

I have heard that the baa are not known for keeping access to there waters in the best of condition but hey for £26 you cant really complain for the amount of water to go at. I must talk 'er in doors' in to going for a nice picnic down by some pools I know. maybe I might just slip the spinning gear in the boot .

cheers guys

ant

Effort equals reward!!

In my case it was bad observation rather than bad access. Once I'd realised the correct way to get to the pools I felt a right fool. There's a field with a well worn trail right across it, but instead of following the obvious off sets Del over a gate and battles through thirty yards of thorn bushes that would have sent triffids running away with fear and then clambours over a barbed wire fence. It was a nice peaceful setting though, and to start with totally deserted so I was able to fish every swim that I chose to.

I also fished the BAA Eckington stretch earlier this year and the access there was fine, too. Alas, it was not long after the floods and I almost lost a welly in the mud - it was actually more like quicksand than mud and it was pretty scary. Oh I blanked that day, too. But that day was colder than a welldigger's ass! And fighter planes kept shrieking overhead.

Regards,

Derek

Del, don't feel too bad, on my first visit there I missed the stile on the way back and had to walk back a complete meadow. :o

Pike are there believe me, don't do much lure fishing though, at my age I don't like to walk about much. :)

The stretch above the bridge at Ekington never was very productive for myself, but the stretch downstream, which they have given up, was better, as was Bredons Hardwick. Like John Williams says use it or loose it. They have taken on some more of the Trent which I have yet to fish.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Anthony,

I agree that there are quite a few pegs on many of their waters which are totally unfishable, the Teme in particular, but if you know what species you are after there are some great pegs too.

[ 25. April 2004, 09:37 PM: Message edited by: Nugg ]