XP service pack 3

Riley

For once Im going to check this out BEFORE I install it!

Have downloaded it to cd ready, but looking for general opinion as to the problems its likley to bring with it?

Should I, shouldnt I?!

Anyone else install;ed it yet, any problems to look out for ?

Tech sites seem to be full of 'em so Im a bit nervous.

Riley

The more people I meet the more I like my dog!

For once Im going to check this out BEFORE I install it!

Have downloaded it to cd ready, but looking for general opinion as to the problems its likley to bring with it?

Should I, shouldnt I?!

Anyone else install;ed it yet, any problems to look out for ?

Tech sites seem to be full of 'em so Im a bit nervous.

Lots of people have no problems with SP3 but my external USB sound card does not like it. Even after I uninstalled SP3 it still would not work. I had to re-install XP(SP2).

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Lots of people have no problems with SP3 but my external USB sound card does not like it. Even after I uninstalled SP3 it still would not work. I had to re-install XP(SP2).

Thats what worries me, the techie sites seem to be full of people with silly little problems which I dont have time for right now, and having spent loads of money and time getting it running smoothly Im thinking wait a while till some fixes sort out some of the glitches?

Riley

The chances are you would be fine if you upgraded. My sound card is a bit of a flaky beast but with a bit of fiddling it is fine on SP2.

My advice would be to leave it for now. Check your automatic update settings though or you may find SP3 installed "behind your back".

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

The chances are you would be fine if you upgraded. My sound card is a bit of a flaky beast but with a bit of fiddling it is fine on SP2.

My advice would be to leave it for now. Check your automatic update settings though or you may find SP3 installed "behind your back".

Sugar! I forgot that, settings were automatic, I just changed it to ask me first before installing. I cant see that it is installed tho, it would be shown as SP3 under updates wouldnt it on add remove progs?

Riley

Sugar! I forgot that, settings were automatic, I just changed it to ask me first before installing. I cant see that it is installed tho, it would be shown as SP3 under updates wouldnt it on add remove progs?
Yes. If it's not in Add/Remove Progs then it's not been installed yet.

i have it installed without any problems

however it is better to check the ms forums to see what is the best option

then its up to you if you want it or not.

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

to give a more accurate answer we'd need to know your current setup, taking into account internal components and external components in order to say "yes that will work" or "no, you may have probs with that" - I have installed it on my desktop which i built from scratch....no probs....and on an Acer Laptop (which i'm currently using) again no problems