Cayo Guillermo

Errrm

Hi all,

Sorry, I thought it was best I pop over from the freshwater forum, hopefully you don't mind :-).

Me and my girlfriend are thinking about going on Holiday for two weeks to Cayo Guillermo and I was looking for information about fishing there. I have done a search on the forum and there is some useful information but I was wondering what sort of fishing tackle I would need. Also how much is hiring guides or going out on fishing trips?

As a freshwater fisherman I have done most normal types of fishing (ledgering, float, lure fishing). Can I just use these tactics but with heavier line from the piers/beaches? What's the best way to just catch some fish or different species, maybe some biggish ones? Is there any simple tactics I can follow? Would touch ledgering slices of fish work or is it better to fish with a pike style float? All my lure fishing is done with below 20g lures, would these be ok or would I need to get a stronger rod and bigger lures?

Thanks for any information you can give me.

Neil

Errm

Sorry I have been away or I would have replied to this earlier; you will need a heavier approach than you would use in the UK the tackle you describe is fine....... for catching bait. I normally use a 9 foot 50-100g spinning rod and an 8weight fly outfit for the bonefish and a 30-50lb class boat outfit with a 4/0 class lever drag reel for trolling. I also use the spinning rod for live baiting etc. for line I use either 30lb braid on a 60 class spinning reel (I use an Okuma Cedros), and a have a spare spool of 35lb mono as it has more abrasion resistance if fishing over coral reefs. You will need to use a trace I use 60lb wire but use 150lb when trolling fro the likes of Wahoo King Mackerel etc. I use 100-20lb mono for Sailfish, Dorado etc. and I would use a rubbing trace of 100lb mono if you go for the big Tarpon.

There is no tackle to be had on the Cayos so you must take your own so take a good selection of poppers, lures, hooks (I like using octopus patterns in sizes from 1- 10/0 but small patters (sizes 8-2), are useful for baitfish and sets of sabikis and hokkais work for this as well.

as for the fishing the beaches on Cayo Guillermo are extensive coral flats and are very shallow and completely exposed at low water they are good for bones and odd needle fish and Ballyhoo but little else the Causeway bridge on to the Island is good but always full of locals, the rocks at Playa Pilar are also good in the evening but the big Tarpon that used to be there between May and September are few and far between. The lagoons around the hotels have baby poons in them and are fun on spinning gear but are under a lot of angling pressure.

Charter boats are available at around 450 CuC's a day (cheaper for half days and standby’s). You can negotiate a half day mangrove or inner reef trio for around 150CuC's per day and guides are 180CuC's a day but they will take you off island to the excellent marks around Cayo Paradon Grande.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Errm

Sorry I have been away or I would have replied to this earlier; you will need a heavier approach than you would use in the UK the tackle you describe is fine....... for catching bait. I normally use a 9 foot 50-100g spinning rod and an 8weight fly outfit for the bonefish and a 30-50lb class boat outfit with a 4/0 class lever drag reel for trolling. I also use the spinning rod for live baiting etc. for line I use either 30lb braid on a 60 class spinning reel (I use an Okuma Cedros), and a have a spare spool of 35lb mono as it has more abrasion resistance if fishing over coral reefs. You will need to use a trace I use 60lb wire but use 150lb when trolling fro the likes of Wahoo King Mackerel etc. I use 100-20lb mono for Sailfish, Dorado etc. and I would use a rubbing trace of 100lb mono if you go for the big Tarpon.

There is no tackle to be had on the Cayos so you must take your own so take a good selection of poppers, lures, hooks (I like using octopus patterns in sizes from 1- 10/0 but small patters (sizes 8-2), are useful for baitfish and sets of sabikis and hokkais work for this as well.

as for the fishing the beaches on Cayo Guillermo are extensive coral flats and are very shallow and completely exposed at low water they are good for bones and odd needle fish and Ballyhoo but little else the Causeway bridge on to the Island is good but always full of locals, the rocks at Playa Pilar are also good in the evening but the big Tarpon that used to be there between May and September are few and far between. The lagoons around the hotels have baby poons in them and are fun on spinning gear but are under a lot of angling pressure.

Charter boats are available at around 450 CuC's a day (cheaper for half days and standby’s). You can negotiate a half day mangrove or inner reef trio for around 150CuC's per day and guides are 180CuC's a day but they will take you off island to the excellent marks around Cayo Paradon Grande.

Tony

Thanks Tony :-).

Errrm

When and where are you going over I will be there from 9 November, staying at the Daiquiri.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Errrm

When and where are you going over I will be there from 9 November, staying at the Daiquiri.

Tony

lol, we are thinking about going somtime in November to the Daiquiri as well, we haven't booked it yet but it depends on a few things if we go.

Errrm

Well if you do go perhaps we can have a few sessions together, I will be taking a load of kit, as ususal.

Tony

Tony

Errrm

Well if you do go perhaps we can have a few sessions together, I will be taking a load of kit, as ususal.

Tony

Thanks, sounds good. I'll let you know if we book it for that same 2 week period.

Holiday booked for the 19th, now I need to negotiate how much fishing I'm allowed to do with the girlfriend :-).

Errrm

Well se should be able to fit in a few days fishing before I toddle off on the 23rd

Tony

Tony