Cheap Session on the River

*TQ*

I was using a 75g Korum feeder, I did have 90g ones with me and some 'dead cows' to add weight but my rod did not seem happy with the 75g to start with! It was very bouncy before I cast and definitely didn't seem up to the job. I think I'll need to invest in a better one before targeting barbel again.

What would be the lowest amount I could spend on a (half) decent barbel rod? The one I was using on Saturday was an Avanti Power Feeder of some sort from Dragon Carp Direct and cost me a tenner I think.

Are the John Wilson Signature Avon Quiver Deluxe Rods any good? I noticed some people fishing without quiver tips, on a big, fast river is a normal tip enough to show bites? Could I have used a float rod?

Generally speaking an avon top is used on a river rod to counteract the heavy flow. A light quivertip is often too effected by the drag of the water on the line and can also take some of the casting power away. If targetting barbel with static baits I used the JW Youngs 2lb TC Avon rods with the avon tops on. They are belting rods and reasonably priced compared to others I have seen and bought. Come with a quiver tip too if the flow isnt quite so strong or there isnt too much weed coming down. Remember that if you are fishing for barbel you arent really looking for little bites as though you were quiver tipping for roach or bream on a still water. If a barbel bites it more often than not bends your tip in a big hoop before you can even grab it. Chub also bite fairly hard and it is unlikely you will not know about it. Even with my 2lb TC rods I always see bites. Even smaller bites are still registered.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

Is this what you're referring to?

Any other recommendations?

Yeah thats the one. For the price they are really good rods. I would definetly recommend them. Another rod you could look at is the greys prodigy range but I would go second hand as I dont think they are worth what they cost brand new. Still a good rod though. I actually have two at home as well as the jw youngs but 9 times out of 10 I will reach for the youngs. I only got the prodigys for targetting smaller species when the river was down and I didnt fancy trotting.

One other rod I have handled that seemed ok for the money is the Shimano Vengeance. There are of course many more rods to choose from but those are the ones I have first hand experience of.

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk