More and bigger fish

barry luxton

Rob,

I agree. The only example I can make, because I'm a dirt farmer, is this. We used to harvest 50 bushel of corn per acre. Now we harvest 250 bushel. It comes at a price.

Phone

Hello Phone

Could you survive on 50 bushels of corn per acre today?

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Bob

Most only know what they have been told (Brain washed) about the Grand Banks cod fishery, few talk about the fact that cod have returned to the Grand Banks to about 70 to 80 % of previous levels, fishermen say even more. these mature fish appeared more or less over night baffling scientist as to where they came from. Few talk about the fact that the Grand Banks cod fishery has declined (I refuse to use the word collapsed) several times in it's history, generally every 50 or 60 years, as for the North Sea there never has been a stable cod fishery that's why the UK fleet fished Iceland and Norway waters for cod.

Stock fluctuations are not a problem for fishermen, they change and adapt as generally while one stock goes down another increases it's the way it's always been, another little known fact is that the weight of biodiversity stays the same. It only becomes a problem when management gets involved and don't forget Bob the management industry is huge and much more lucrative than the fishing industry.

so is writing books like The End of the Line and Silent Seas.

Absolutely spot on, and even WWF agree with you. http://blog.wwf.ca/blog/2012/07/02/the-lon...o-cod-recovery/

Absolutely spot on, and even WWF agree with you. http://blog.wwf.ca/blog/2012/07/02/the-lon...o-cod-recovery/

Ah but using these greenies and there research is just the best bait to get you lads biting init? :rolleyes:

Truth is it’s rather like Global warming loads of data to support both sides of the debate but what can’t be denied I bet is Al Gore had no idea what a money spinner he started with that famous movie ‘An Inconvenient Truth’

Edited by Bob Shotter
Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg

Ah but using these greenies and there research is just the best bait to get you lads biting init? :rolleyes:

Truth is it’s rather like Global warming loads of data to support both sides of the debate but what can’t be denied I bet is Al Gore had no idea what a money spinner he started with that famous movie ‘An Inconvenient Truth’

Show us some data to support the side of the argument you favour then Bob, I posted links to support my view - aint seen any links from your side of the argument, smoke and mirrors?

North sea e u cod take: Scotland 25%

rest of the u k 12% :D

Regarding lawn mowing, it's difficult to determin if foul weather or scalloping activity for example, is the reason for shorelines to be carpeted in cuttings, as happens periodiclly. :thumbs:

ahh, this might help, i also have found some juicy e u rsa illegal captures where nets are used as opposed to rod and line, for balance, baltic sea cod fishing is interesting reading. :D :

In nearly all fisheries that have a restricted quota, where controls are not tight and punishment

does not work as a deterrent, exceeding the allocation seems common. With clear

information scarce (for obvious reasons), illegal cod landings are likely to be common in

all Baltic countries. In 2001, for instance, the Danish fish processing company Espersen

was caught using cod fished illegally in the Baltic Sea. The company was fined Û 134,000.

Espersen was caught again red handed in early 2006, this time receiving illegal cod from

the Barents Sea. In the latter case, Espersen claimed to have been ignorant of the true

origin of the cod, and it was not charged.24

In 2006, ICES “Baltic Fisheries Assessments Working Group” listed 3 different, countryspecific

factors for converting official landings into actual landings, ranging from 1 (no

illegal catches), to 1.5 and 2 (illegal catches of half or the same volume as legal catches).

ICES did not indicate which factors were to be used for which country, but clearly indicated

through its very detailed proceedings that illegal, unreported catches are not restricted to

just one country, but are widespread across the region.25

According to many stakeholders in the fisheries sector, the worst offenders are to be found

in Poland. The huge fleet has reacted badly to its reduced legally allocated quota, responding

with illegal fishing

Sorry I didn't answer earlier Barry, missed it, - Uk coastline - Scotland 67%, all the rest 33% - does that answer your question?

Sorry I didn't answer earlier Barry, missed it, - Uk coastline - Scotland 67%, all the rest 33% - does that answer your question?

E U cod take in the channel, the uk very little, the crumbs, the french 70% minimmum, coastline, routhly equal.

Err na, it didn't. :D

E U bass take, the french four times as many as the uk.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Show us some data to support the side of the argument you favour then Bob, I posted links to support my view - aint seen any links from your side of the argument, smoke and mirrors?

Point is I’m not on any ones side Shaun if I were it would probably be that of a sceptic to all these claims of empty sea’s that are supposedly devoid of fish. Just the same as global warming were we are told we are killing the planet by producing too much co2, when the truth is we can’t come close to matching that produced naturally.

If I were to defend this lot Isabella Lovin would be a good place to start. She is a reporter and Green MP in the Swedish Parliament her book is a good read and asks many good questions, what can’t be denied is she has researched the various issues in some detail. Then there is Green Peace, Professor Cullum Roberts, Pew and as you say WWF to mention a few. Google any of them but you know that already don’t you?

The one thing that never gets a mention in all this and I include global warming is the Sun. It’s our star and provides us with heat and light it drives our weather and affects sea currents and almost all marine life. Like all stars as it ages it gets both larger and hotter and the various solar storms affect us more than we fully understand.

What I will say in closing is and this is for Wurzel. I’m inclined to agree with you about the masses being “Brain Washed” that’s nothing new but to dismiss the word ‘Overfishing’ out of hand is wrong impo. Professor Ray Hilborn is a leader in the field of marine research indeed I recall him saying much the same as you about the Grand Banks Cod, he too has published a book, it’s called ‘Overfishing what everyone needs to know’ I’m reading it at present and I was at a conference which he addressed last year the man is no mug and he has the ear of government.

Publication2_zpsthmtka6c.jpg