New to Coarse Angling

Norsefish80

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Norsefish, welcome to the forum: always nice to see another 'Northerner' swelling the ranks :D As well as the aforementioned river Wear, don't overlook the Tyne and Tees.

On the Wear, there is a quite extensive stretch of water with easy access on a day ticket (at Chester le Street). There are barbel (amongst others) in residence in certain swims downstream of the weir (and to a lesser extent above it), and above the weir you'll find what is sustantially a slow-running river: if you land into the right swims there are some quite large shoals of skimmer bream to be found along with a decent enough mix of other silvers - and the occasional large pike! Downstream of the weir (through the park) can get a bit busier, with quite a lot of foot traffic (there is a concrete path along the bankside, but upstream is much quieter - there is maybe a mile of bankside that you will usually have to yourself!

There is free access to some stretches on the Tyne, and during the winter months, other stretches are (recently) available on a day ticket: for the rest of the year these comprise some very expensive salmon beats, so the coarse fishing is virtually untouched, and some of the riverside here can be stunning ... there are MASSIVE dace shoals to be found, and some very large chub have recently started putting in an appearance, after many years of everyone being 'advised' that there were no chub in the Tyne!

There is quite a lot of fishing available on the Tees too either completely free or on a day ticket: many anglers will head for Yarm, where large shoals of bream can be found, together with some pretty good pike fishing, perch and some large chub too ... and during the summer there were sightings of some REALLY big carp, basking on the surface, though to the best of my knowledge they have so far remained uncaught.

If you are seeking advice on 'your' side of the Tyne, I'd head for ID tackle and ask in there - it's a great shop with very helpful and friendly staff ... some of the other tackle shops are either very heavily geared towards sea fishing (as you'll probably know), or like to put on a front of being well tucked in with the fly-fishing fraternity, and can be a bit sniffy about coarse fishing in general.

Someone mentioned the Angel of The North lakes: they ARE rammed with fish, but the place is usuanlly very quite with anglers, unless there is a match on, which can be several days of the week. If you go there, you'll decide for yourself, but many people are less than enthusiastic about the amount of traffic noise that has to be endured there; it can be VERY windy, as it's exposed at the brow of a bank, so catches everything that blows across Team Valley ... and the owner is definitely something of an 'acquired taste' ... mention being a sea angler (or a game fisherman) and she'll usually insist on you doing one of her angling courses before allowing access to the place ... and that's just the start :D

That said, good facilities there, including an on-site shop, toilets and a cafe, and very secure (EVERYTHING) is on hi-definition cameras, and parking is virtually behind many of the swims. Like most commercials, stocking levels are very, very high, but results can be very 'peggy' ... look at the match results and you'll see what I mean!

Oh! If you want good still-water fishing on a more natural venue, head for Derwent Reservoir, better known as a trout fishery: you can get a coarse day ticket there for several months (including over much of the winter) ... there is some absolutely stonking roach fishing there which has been totally untouched until just a couple of years ago, though other species are notably absent.

Fantastic advice mate, thanks! I'm finding the anglers on here a lot for friendly and willing help than any of the sea forums!

all my roach, rudd, perch fishing (if thats what you mean by silver fish) is done with fairly light rigs.

simple waggler and 2-4lb mainline with a 1-2lb hook length and a size 20 barbed hook with a single maggot.

i often do not deviate from this approach for roach and rudd with the exception of maybe stepping up to 4lb line straight through for perch on some waters.

really loving maxima 1lb chameleon for my hook length these days. its such a lovely line to tie.

i think you will find that in general most coarse anglers are a more friendly bunch as they dabble in a lot of different angling so have a wider perspective than single minded specimen hunters. Purist carp, sea, predator anglers im pointing at you :bye1:

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

all my roach, rudd, perch fishing (if thats what you mean by silver fish) is done with fairly light rigs.

simple waggler and 2-4lb mainline with a 1-2lb hook length and a size 20 barbed hook with a single maggot.

i often do not deviate from this approach for roach and rudd with the exception of maybe stepping up to 4lb line straight through for perch on some waters.

really loving maxima 1lb chameleon for my hook length these days. its such a lovely line to tie.

i think you will find that in general most coarse anglers are a more friendly bunch as they dabble in a lot of different angling so have a wider perspective than single minded specimen hunters. Purist carp, sea, predator anglers im pointing at you :bye1:

Hi Andy.

Thanks for the great advice!

I wonder If you can give me some advice on some feeder cages I have just bought....??

They are the open ended type plastic type. I kind of know what most of them are for, the cage type for ground baits and ones with holes for the likes of Maggots and Castors but I also have one which is the smallest and is a small clear open ended one with no holes what so ever! it has a triangular shaped attachment which I imagine is to attach the feeder to line. Any Idea what this one is for as it has no holes has a 20g weight to it as like is aid is a lot smaller than the rest?? Can you shed some light? :unsure:

its probably an inline method feeder. the triangular thing is it a little rubber cone like thing with a hole straight through and then straight through the feeder its self which probably has something that resembles ribs of some sort and probably has a swivel on the end ?

search google images for "Method feeder" or click here

its used to mold ground bait around, you will see that on the google images.

Its useful for carp fishing. its all i use those types for and set it up as a bolt rig.

To set it up put a stop knot or float stop (little rubber grip) on to the mainline, slide on the method feeder, and tie swivel to end of mainline, tie a hook length or hair rig to end of swivel and then fixed the feeder in place by sliding the stop knot or float stop.

the trick with the swivels is to have one that wont get stuck inside so much that if you get a break off a fish will be easily able to discard it and not so small that it falls straight off down your hook length to your hook :D a bead on the mainline before the swivel can be useful if you have a feeder that doesnt accommodate a swivel very well.

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Email it to me and I'll upload it - elton@anglersnet.co.uk

Some features don't kick in until after your 15th post.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Added above :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

It's not a method Feeder. :( I have a pic of it but can't seem to attach it!!! :wallbash:

attachicon.gifFeeders Cages.JPG

They are all groundbait feeders - the cage types are used for shallower water where you need the groundbait to explode and form a cloud.

The ones with the holes are for deeper pegs where you need the groundbait to start to escape once feder reaches the botton (the holes help water get in to help groundbait to expand.

The small solid type one is for winter fishing, 20g gives you casting range for stillwaters (the weight of the groundbait being minimal) and on rivers helps hold bottom.

It is solid so the groundbait (in winter being a very fine groundbait) takes a while to escape feeder giving a longer term attraction to the hookbait, they are handy when conditions are very hard and you are fishing for a few bites and only want to put a tiny bit of feed in.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!