Float Setup For Catfish

Randy

I was wondering if any one could steer me in the right direction for float fishing for catfish. Most fish I will be targeting will be Flathead Catfish and Channel Catfish. I'm sure your techniques will work here in my neck of the woods.

The rig I was using was a large 4 oz foam slip float with a 2 OZ egg sinker then below that a 10/0 circle hook with a 6" live bluegill. The fish I was fishing for were in the 50 pound range. What kind of rod do you reccomend? I was using a 7' spinning rod rated for 50 to 60 pound mono. I'm thinking about using a baitcasting rod spiral wrapped in the 7 to 8' range. Am I on the right track? I should mention that I'm using this on rather large rivers.

Thanks,

Randy

Hi Randy. Budgie is the man for fancy catfish rigs. He spent some years guiding on the River Ebro in Spain for the large Wels they have there and can pretty much come up with a rig for nearly every condition a river can find itself in.

I prefer baitcasting rods myself. Abu 7000 C-3 is my standard but I do keep a couple of Shimano TLD15 reels for times when the current is too fast for the clicker to hold or if I need the extra line capacity. With a Lever Drag reel you can set the drag to exactly the point needed to keep a bait from being dragged by current.

Other than dark nights when the flathead like to go cruising in the flats for a snack, they spend their time either back in the worst log jams they can locate or at the head of deep holes and the larger fish will take their pick so deep holes with snags or other obstructions are the usual. I like a line with more beef than 50-60 lbs and hate the stiffness of heavy mono so I spool up with 80lb powerpro and will use some 100lb shock leader if things are really nasty.

I like the glass and graphite combo rods like the Ugly Stik for catfishing. Doesn't cast as smoothly as a pure graphite rod but lots tougher.

If you have located some 50lb channel cats, tell me where and I'll be there to show you the gear I like rather than just talking about it. :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt,

Thanks, The channel cats I catch here in Ohio aren't anywhere near 50 pounds. I hear the Red River in Manitoba is the place to go for giant channel cats.

When I get around to building the rod I was planning on going with a 8' very heavy action St Croix SCIII. I was also planning on mating this with a Shimano Calcutta (not sure of the model of the Calcutta). I use a Calcutta for float fishing for steelhead and I like the free spool feature on these reels. Line I was looking into a braid of around 80 to 100 pounds. You mentioned a shock leader. Is that necessary or could I get away with braid down to the hook?

I went one time for flatheads on the Muskingum River, here, in Ohio and eventhough I didn't catch anything I was hooked. Heck, anything related to float fishing I like.

I was also considering a long surf rod to help with line control and fish control. But I think the shorter 8 footer would be easier to handle during a day on the water.

Budgie - some of your rigs for fishing heavy cover would be interesting to see. For me too.

Randy - normally no shock leader needed with 80lb braid but on occasion I will go with a length of heavier braid - more for abrasion resistance than anything else.

The rod blank sounds like it is up to the task. I am a little rough on my rods so I like the fact that the Ugly Stiks are just harder to damage since the outside is glass. Nothing I'd like to use if I were casting a lot but for big cat rods, I love them. The calcutta reels are excellent. A little pricier than my C3 reels though and those hold up well in rough use. As noted, you really want to investigate the lever drag reels if you will be fishing fast current or need the extra beef. I think they were originally developed for salt water trolling.

The channels on the Red River below the dam at Selkirk are good ones but almost never any above the high 20s. Speculation that the really bigguns stay in the lake year around and never make the swim upstream. That particular dam has a fish ladder and the channels under around 10lbs move to the area above the dam so only the big gals are left below. Wonderful fishing if you ever get a chance to go.

It is not unusual to blank on lots of flathead sessions if you are after the larger ones.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks Newt. I've caught only one flathead in all the years I've been fishing and that was below Kentucky Lake Dam and it was a little 'un.

I think all of my next flathead sessions will be for the specimen cats. Have you ever fished the Cape Fear River in VA? I drove over it last summer and it looked like a good river to fish and I've heard alot about it in magazines and news papers.

Randy

Randy - haven't done the Cape Fear yet. Probably will one of these days though and yes, it is a great looking bit of water.