Fishing Rivers in Very Cold Weather

Steve Burke

Every winter I get e-mails asking about fishing rivers in freeze-ups, often with a request for a link to the article I wrote on the subject. This year is no exception, so to save me time here's the link: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Coarse-Fishing-Articles/cold_river_fishing.html.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Read this years ago and it helped me to catch in those conditions and I have 3 words to say

cheesepaste

cheesepaste

and yes you guessed it cheesepaste.

Stalking with a quiver rod fishing likely spots for 10 mins and moving. keeps you warm and you learn so much about the river to be remembered for when its warmer.

Thanks Steve for eduacating me all those years ago and you didn't even know it.

John

Glad it helped, John. But I too could learn from you with the species where you've had more experience.

It is indeed a good many years ago, about late 90s. It originally appeared in 2 parts in an early "Carp Talk". In those days it covered all species and I think was called "Carp Talk and Specimen Weekly".

The pictures go back about 30 years, so further still - I had hair in those days!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

With the big drop in temp this week I'm sure that a number of mates that are into their carp fishing will be on the phone to see if I fancy going on the river this weekend. They do it every year when it gets really cold and their still waters freeze up.

30 years of river fishing and I now think the really cold spells are the best time to get the decorating done. Yes you can catch on the river when its very cold, but IMO its far from the best time to take up river fishing.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep