Buying a Speedia - advice wanted

philocalist

Like many anglers who like / use them, I've probably got way more pins than is decent ... though I've never owned a Speedia, hence the request for advice.

I need to buy one within the next few weeks as a gift for a family member, but am vaguely aware that as they were made over a number of years, the models available changed:

Is there anyone on the forums with enough actual hands-on experience to point me in the right direction - which model should I go for and why? ... and are there any pitfalls etc that I should be on the lookout for?
Within reason, cost is not really an issue, I just want to get my hands on a decent example of what would be broadly accepted as the 'best' model of Speedia to be trying to track down ... you know, the one YOU would want if someone was feeling benevolent :clap:

As a slight aside, if any members have something suitable / appropriate that they wish to sell, or know the location of a decent one, please feel free to PM me?

Thanks!

Edited by philocalist

this might help

http://centrepins.yuku.com/topic/406/WR-Products-Speedia-centrepin

biggest issue is how big is your budget ? due too the improved models popularity with barbel anglers ,has pushed up the prices ,used to pick them up cheap but not so these days.

here's a classic cliche / saying for you

"you should of been here last week ,mate " ,as there was some nice reconned ones on e-bay last week ,this week none ,well only a old one thats been knocking around e-bay for months vastly over priced ,its been painted gray at some point ,i dont think its a original colour option ,but might of been it is a early model (mk4) .but i've not seen a grey one ,especially a council gray one .apart from the colour and price ( half this price & stripped thenit'd be worth it ) it seems ok & has a righthanded line guard if you like that kind of thing .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Rare-Grey-Speedia-Centrepin-Fishing-Reel-/380565504294?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item589b78c126

in my opinion it doesn't matter which model you buy ,they're all good ,but the really early ones like the first series mk1 & 2 had poor linelay pins ,that was prone to buckling as they was too thin ,but they did come witha nice sized brass foot ,the safest bets to buy in term of usability are the later "improved model" speedia's .these offer the most options & features .most speedia's have poor paint work ,but they do look fantastic striped and polished

DSC00677.jpg

(my old speedia first series mk4 ,with replacement handles ,stripped and polished inc the brass foot)

condition is everything ,don't worry about perfect paint jobs ,unless thats a important factor for your purposes ,wobble and lateral movement are the concerns ,if its a pressent then niether is desirable ,but a small amount of wobble can be tollerated without affecting performance ,the reels foot is another concern as speedia's dont like a lot of modern reel fittings unless the foot has been modified ,some later speedia's have very long foot's and some are too wide for modern narrow rod handles .generally a half decent one will spin well nice and smooth for over a minuet .

things too look out for

missing parts (leave alone)

damaged foots (leave alone)

long foots (buy under caution)

patchy paint (only a deal breaker if your after a pressentation quality reel ,speedia's look fantastic as pollished metel )

wobble (avoid if bad ,a little is usually ok)

handle condition (avoid if broken or missing ,chipped is ok ,but if needed replacements are available)

lateral movement (avoid if you can ,getting new bush or pin made will be expensive)

price wise

expect to pay more for a later model ,but for any speedia in decent condition your looking at over £50 minimum ,and as much as £100+ for a good one/reconditioned one in perfect working order (no wobble or freeplay & perfect paint job and smooth long spin time) .prices very all the time thesedays .

Edited by chavender
  • Like 1

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve