Pike Fishing Beginner

chrislee342

Hi all.

Basically I'm looking to get into pike fishing and I am wondering where is the best place to start?

I already have rods and reels that I use when targeting carp which will be strong enough for the job.

I'm not too sure on which rigs are best for the beginner to use as I hear that deep hooking can be a problem.

I'm not looking to catch a monster, just any size so I can get use to handling them and get use to pike fishing in general.

Any tips would be appreciated too!

Can I have your bank account number and sort code please?

There is only one good starting point and that's simply to find a competent pike angler that can show you the ropes! Simple as that.......but sometimes not as simple to do! A good start (if you don't all ready know one) would be to contact your local PAC (Pike Anglers Club of Great Britain) Regional Organiser.He would definitely help you out and point you in the right direction.The single most important thing you need to learn and master (hence forth the need to go with an experienced guy) isn't so much "how to catch them" but more "what to do once you have"! despite their teeth and reputation Pike are an extremely fragile fish and the methods we use to catch them often not that good to them if not correctly practiced! If you have no luck,rather than going it alone feel free to contact me and I will put you in contact. I don't get on here much these days so best to email me at - budgieburgess55@ntlworld.com Best of luck.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Hi Chris

As Dick says the PAC is a really good resource for rigs etc. And also for finding a local who could show you the ropes.

Whereabouts are you based? If you're near Manchester then I'd be happy to help (assuming I can give the other half the slip) :)

If I were you I'd start on your local river systems. A simple float ledger technique, with a rubber stop and a bead above your inline float, lead below your float, tied to a swivel and your wire trace. This allows for quick adjustment of depth.

I would walk a good few miles of bank dropping your bait into any likely looking spots. Overhanging bushes, slack water inside of creases, deep holes adjacent to fast water etc. most of my fish are caught within a rod length of the bank.

Bait, I like to use smelt when the river is low and clear, and oily fish like mackerel when coured.

Don't wait to hit a run, If your float goes, hit it to avoid deep hooking, a situation which is daunting for beginners. Once landed, lay the pike on an unhooking mat and straddle it between your legs (easy tiger). Your chin the pike and lift its head up, it will usually then open its mouth allowing you to get your long nosed forceps in and carefully remove your semi barbed trebles. A quick photo, and place him in the margins to recover and swim away.

The above is a lot easier if you go with an experienced piker!

Please visit my blog at http://jimmysfishing.blogspot.com