Bread Punch v Pinkies on the Basingstoke Canal

kenj

Members may be interested in my lastest blog post following a successful session on the Basingstoke Canal. Also a picture of my final catch, proving that the punch can produce better size fish too.

http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/bread-punch-v-pinkies-on-the-basingstoke-canal/

Nice work - what size elastic were you using?

I like to fish Punched bread as a starting method in the winter, it either works or doesnt - if it doesnt its time for Groundbait and pinkie.

In the warmer months it can be a killer tactic for Crucians fished over micro pellets as opposed to liquidised bread (attracts to many pairs of eyes in warm weather).

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Hi Rudd, I was using a number 4 elastic looped to a number 6 half way down the third section, with it set fairly tight. There is enough bounce in the tip to cope with small roach and skimmers, while the elastic copes well with better fish. That roach went 2 lb on my scales and I needed to put more pole lengths on to hold it.

Just got back from a freezing session on a shallow little river that runs through my local park. Fished 6 mm punched bread on a twelve foot float rod, with a short piece of swan quill as a stick float in 30 inches of water. Feeding liquidized bread had five small chub between 8 oz and a pound, then the gudgeon moved in. Was hoping for roach to come on as the light faded, but got too cold and packed up. Had over 5 lb in 90 mins fishing. Those chub really go in the shallow water. Subject for another blog?