Urban chub fishing among the shopping trolleys

kenj

Hi Andy, do you fish the Kelvin? At least there is an association of anglers for that river. We have to rely on the local councils on our urban rivers and they have one policy, slash and burn. The feeder stream to my little river got the treatment last year. We walk along it to Tesco and used to see kingfishers and goldcrests along the banks. The council came in and cut down half the trees and shredded the rest, leaving the banks exposed. Rare birds gone.

There is very little free fishing down south.

Haven't fished the Kelvin for a few years since the White Cart is 5 mins walk away with a limp, so that's my local. That also has an association (apprently) but they don't do a thing for the river, good or bad, so they don't get my membership anymore. Call it poaching or guesting or whatever you will but until they actually demonstrate their will to do something, anything, I'm carrying on as usual. Sad really because it used to be very well run. It's not a great deal of money but any money is a waste when it's difficult to see where and how it's being spent.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I'm in a small flyfishing syndicate, which is part of a much larger coarse fishing club. We have the upper reaches of a small river and keep the banks clear with regular working parties, but the lower section is controlled by the coarse fishing club, of which i am also a member, who have left the banks to turn into a jungle. It's a pity as there are some nice trout down there along with big chub and barbel, but unless you can poke a rod out between the trees, fishing is impossible. Might just take my chainsaw on my next visit.

• 2 weeks later...

I went back and fished a bit of this river this week, where it runs alongside a lane. It was like a rubbish tip. Most of it was beer cans and angler's discards. Such a shame as the fishing was brilliant, plenty of nice roach and chub.