James Bulger

Guest fisherking

Guest Danny Race

This has been an interesting and lively debate on what is probably one of the most perplexing and emotion-raising issues of this decade. Altho' all points of view have been aired .. from the "eye for an eye" to the "poor little things" .. I must admit that the outcome of this senario gives me cause for concern. I am 58 years old, and

was taught at a very early age the difference between right and wrong, and even at the age of 10 I would have known that this was an evil thing to do.

Perhaps it is the system that is at fault .. too many social workers and child psycologists getting it wrong. Perhaps it is the modern parent. Who knows ?

What I do know is that this modern social structure seems to be falling apart ... put the blame where you will.

Guest Ian Cresswell

Hi All,

My original point seems to have attracted some interest.

Reading between the lines here people are talking about an evil act (we don't disagree here I think).

We're also talking about junior school kids doing this (we disagree about inate evil).

I have no doubt that the act was planned but I strongly doubt that they understood the consequences of what they were doing or indeed the seriousness of the act.

I first posted on this subject to express my regret that kids aren't 'real people' until they grow up. Is 18 grown up enough? I don't know!

Of course the Bulger family get my absolute and unreserved sympathy but then so do the 10 year old kids that got treated so badly by the mobs outside the associated trial.

Without doubt these perpetrators are going to be regretful, scared and paranoid for the rest of their lives now.

Some may say that I'm being too sympathetic but please be aware that a 'witch hunt' is likely to hurt innocent people.

The 'reporter' that finds them, once the info is (illegally) released, is going to get rich!

How many more innocent people have to be hurt? The search for these kids WILL hurt people.

One case of mistaken identity ... one case too far!

Now let's talk morality huh?

Ian.

Originally posted by Ian Cresswell:

Hi All,

Of course the Bulger family get my absolute and unreserved sympathy but then so do the 10 year old kids that got treated so badly by the mobs outside the associated trial.

Without doubt these perpetrators are going to be regretful, scared and paranoid for the rest of their lives now.

The 'reporter' that finds them, once the info is (illegally) released, is going to get rich!

One case of mistaken identity ... one case too far!

Ian.

Yup,

Basically you are talking about human nature.

Thats why there are sooo many wars,

where people feel justified in seeing

whoever or whatever as object, scapegoats, enemies.

(dependant on race , colour, religion,

location, etc)

What we think as abhorrent in our society

is the norm in others.

What about TB, Cancer, Leukaemia, et al?

are they inherently evil?

And what about the morons that hunt

anything that looks like the image of the

perpetrators?

Maybe try turning off the TV ,

and see what people in other countries

do to survive.

I have seen mothers that amputate their childrens limbs, so that the Rich

foreigners that visit, are more likely to give cash, so the family can eat.

I have seen parties, where the main feast is

the family pet (dog) barbequed.

If this is offensive,

turn off the TV, see how some people live, and ask yourself is you'd do any different in those circumstances.

Liam

ps I have also seen my sister begging to die

but being forced to starve herself to death

(over many months) because no-one would listen or help.

Guest waterman1013

There was a very good piece in The Sunday Times - News Review, January 14, on Mary Bell, a previous child killer, who served her sentance and was released into the community.

It discusses the problems faced by people given new IDs in such circumstances. I think the reality is that as long as there is a story to be had, some mebers of the press will follow, for as long as it takes, these two kids, upon release, so that sooner or later their locations will be known. And at that point all reason will depart.

Roy I agree with you on the need for society to be dispassionate in these matters but can fully understand why those closest to events cannot be. You may remember Sgt Webb, shot dead outside Wormwood Scrubbs. I stayed with his sister during the weekend he was shot, he had been shot during the afternoon of the Friday, and she was fine, composed and brave, until the Sunday morning, when the Sunday Mirror published, on the front page, a full page photo of him lying under the car facing the camera. The photo did nothing to enhance the story but it destroyed Anne's brave response to such an horrendous family tragedy. She and I never bought the SM again.

Mike

Guest david platt
Originally posted by Danny Race:

This has been an interesting and lively debate on what is probably one of the most perplexing and emotion-raising issues of this decade.    Altho' all points of view have been aired .. from the "eye for an eye" to the "poor little things" ..  I must admit that the outcome of this senario gives me cause for concern.    I am 58 years old, and

was taught at a very early age the difference between right and wrong, and even at the age of 10 I would have known that this was an evil thing to do.

Perhaps it is the system that is at fault ..  too many social workers and child psycologists getting it wrong.  Perhaps it is the modern parent.  Who knows ?

What I do know is that this modern social structure seems to be falling apart ...  put the blame where you will.

Well said Danny Iam in full agreement with what you say,Iam 55yrs old and also concerned what is happening today,when we were kids we played out without looking over our shoulders all the time,every one knew who the perverts were so we kept clear,we had more deterents in them days,if you did not do as you were told you would get a slap(a slap not a beating)Murders were a rare accurance then, not like these days 5 or six aweek, if you went to prison you did life with hard labour,no telly,no snooker/pool or

other types of recreation they have now,in our day people were frightend of going to prison, now it seems to be only an inconvenience to them,But going back to the main point,I think more is yet to come out about the two lads who killed James Bulger,and not for the good either, only time will tell,But,one thing is for sure young james Bulger will not get the chance to kick a football,do further education courses,go on holiday,He was robbed of his future,and That for sure is wrong.

his killers are getting off very lightly

in my view

David Platt

[This message has been edited by david platt (edited 20 January 2001).]

Guest Danny Race
Originally posted by david platt:

Well said Danny Iam in full agreement with what you say,Iam 55yrs old and also concerned what is happening today,when we were kids we played out without looking over our shoulders all the time,every one knew who the perverts were so we kept clear,we had more deterents in them days,if you did not do as you were told you would get a slap(a slap not a beating)Murders were a rare accurance then, not like these days 5 or six aweek, if you went to prison you did life with hard labour,no telly,no snooker/pool or

other types of recreation they have now,in our day people were frightend of going to prison, now it seems to be only an inconvenience to them,But going back to the main point,I think more is yet to come out about the two lads who killed James Bulger,and not for the good either, only time will tell,But,one thing is for sure young james Bulger will not get the chance to kick a football,do further education courses,go on holiday,He was robbed of his future,and That for sure is wrong.

his killers are getting off very lightly

in my view

David Platt

[This message has been edited by david platt (edited 20 January 2001).]

Amen to that Dave.

Danny