help needed please

skuba

Hi everyone

Sorry if you get bombarded with beginner posts like this...

I've been chatting with my dad about taking up fishing. I have very little experience fishing and my dad used to fish when he was younger, but he's way out of touch with the latest gear and stuff! Can you recommend a decent rod and reel? To be honest, I always take pride in most hobbies/sports I take part in so I don't really want to go for a £20 starter pack or anything because I'd like to buy something of reasonable quality that will last us for a number of years. I was looking at the following...

Make: Daiwa or Shakespeare (simply because they are established brands) made of carbon

Length: 12 foot (because I read that it was a good length for most ponds, rivers etc)

Reel: Again, Daiwa or Shakespeare

Also, does anyone have an opinion on the Geologic rods and reels at Decathlon sports?

Other than but I have no idea what to look for! Budget wise, around £25-£50 for a rod, £20 ish for a reel. Obviously it's difficult to say when I don't know what I'm talking about!

Can you offer me any advice on what to purchase?

Thank you very much

John

Hi John. Don't ever worry about asking a question on here. Without new folks with questions, this place would be nothing but a bunch of long-time members who didn't have much to say to each other due to having said it all at some point.

I can't give you any specific advice on this one since my fishing conditions and the available gear is just too different but you should soon get some good information.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Scuba welcome to the motley crew with the distinctive fishy wiff.

Your on the right lines with the rod and reel combo and its very easy to end up a tackle tart in this game my advice would be to remember that the rod and reel may look pretty on the bank but its the bit in the water that catches fish ie getting the bait in the right place presented correctly.

To begin with i would budget about £50 on a rod reel combo and then the same again on the bits and pieces ie decent line, hooks, floats weights etc. And the most important advice.

NOTHING IS A STUPID QUESTION if you dont know ask theres plenty here that'll advise you and depending where you live might offer to show you a few tips by the water side.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.