Computer help please!

Guest BUDGIE

Guest gray-catchpole

oops

the server i use for catchpole is a personal server of a freind of mine it sometimes goes weird, but not to often, i am considering moving "again" but they asure me things will be sorted by the end of the week.

fishing magic works fine from here budgie

------------------

gray-catchpole

http://catchpole.cjb.net

mailto:catchpole@go-fishing.co.ukcatchpole@go-fishing.co.uk

[This message has been edited by gray-catchpole (edited 19 December 2000).]

Budgie - if you haven't already, upgrade to IE5.5 and then load all the bells from the MS update site. Next go to ZDNet and pick the option to update your computer. It will scan your system for version numbers of all your programs and the little supporting files and offer a list of free updates with a link to download. It will take just this side of forever but there are some that will make Win98 work a bit better.

There are also some great utilities available in Win9x and more from the Sam Spade web site to trouble-shoot problem TCP/IP connections (the protocol all of us are using to surf, load, etc.) Free and not hard to use. Happy to send you - or anybody else - a quick and dirty how-to on using some of them. It should allow you to figure out if the problem is yours or at the other end.

Originally posted by BUDGIE:

Fihing magic is http://fishingmagic.com  I use Windows 98 and I am on IE5.Set up the Freeserve Off Peak manually.

I sent a reply a few days ago, but obviously not got thru'

Both of them have applets running.

Try http://www.mental-health.freeserve.co.uk/page7.html

(its got java stuff on it)

and see if the same happens

or if it lets you into the chat room

Cheers

Liam

Loonyl,tried it took me directly to the chat room page but froze as soon as I moved the mouse.Incidently I was able to use the Catchpole site okay tonight.I have now been through all my favourites and the two sites that will not play are still Fishing magic and Catfisherman com. Exactly the same problem.

Budgie - have you tried upgrading to IE5.5 and then running a windows update and getting the latest and greatest Java and Active-X stuff from there and the same from the ZDNet update site? It sounds like these pages may have a control that your system doesn't know how to handle.

Failing that, go into the Tools~internet options~advanced tab in your browser and enable anything that looks interesting.

Also probably not a bad idea to check with the ISP - they may have a firewall of some kind that is causing the problem.

[This message has been edited by Newt (edited 22 December 2000).]

Thankyou all very much for your help.I visited the sites reccomended by Newt and IanC (in his phone call to me)downloaded everything to do with internet/browser updates!!Managed to get on to all the problem sites okay.Loonyl the applets thing seemed to have something to do with it as now I get a message on the task bar about applets! Dont know exactly what the problem was but it seems to have gone.Once again many thanks.