8' spinning rod for Bass?

OxfordRichard

Richard

It will be fine I generally use a 9ft rod for my sea spinning and some say that is too short; but it suits me and it works and the same applies to your rod.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Tony,

Many thanks for the advice. I was starting to worry!

I'm planning on going to a local tackle shop in Lyme Regis, buy tge lures they recommend and spin at first and last light. If I don't get anything after 20 minutes, just try a new lure.

Does that sound like a good plan?

Thanks again,

Rick

Tony - too short to cast well or to play a fish or what?

I do almost all freshwater but my longest lure rod is 7'6" and most are 6' to 7'. They have always seemed to work fine for me.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt

I was commenting after reading an article in the Sea Angler by a well known Dover matchman who was reviewing spinning rods for sea Bass. He basically put down any rod under 10ft as being too short. His reasoning was that a 10ft rod would cast further??? and allowed you to play a fish around structure??

I can't say I agree with any of his comments: I use a 9ft rod as standard when sea spinning and am also happy using my 6ft baitcaster as its stiffer action is brilliant for getting the best out of poppers and walk the dog type lures.

Richard

First light is usuallty best for me and I recommend you buy some dexter wedges or their clone type lures. I am down in Bridport myself from 9th August but I presume you will be away home by then

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Thanks Tony.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President