prebaiting and fishing the river thames

tonystone

I am planning on prebaiting a couple of areas of the River Thames for when the river season opens, with the intention of fishing the weekend of the 18th and 19th.

Firstly my target speices will be Bream, roach, perch, with the possibility of a barbel or two on the stretch im planning to fish.

What would you recommend using to prebait with??? I was thinking, groundbait (not sure what type yet) chopped worm, sweetcorn, hemp, mini pellets.

Hook baits I was going to use, worms, maggot, sweetcorn.

Rigs wise I will be using 2 rods on quiver tip / feeder fishing. 6lb mainline, 3-4lb hooklength and either groundbait feeder / maggot feeder on one and straight lead on the other with maybe a bigger bait for the bigger fish. pellet or large worm or something.

Having never prebaited before, I wanted to make the most of what I do put in, as I cant really afford to waste it. How often should I bait up over the next few weeks?? and how much feed should I put in each time??

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Tony Stone

[ 13. May 2005, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: tonystone ]

I'd go with hemp, pellet (i like the nash river pellets, oval and a mix of sizes in the bucket) and sweetcorn. Not so sure about the benefit of chopped worm for river pre-baiting as it won't stay in the swim for long. Groundbait is going to need to be quite heavy if you want a bed to stay around. I'd try to just use the particle mix where you expect there might be a chance of barbel and groundbait the more breamy looking spots.

HTH

Will

Tony

Get yourself down to any farm or large pet food suppliers get a sack of hemp,french maize and a good birdseed mix with aniseed in. mix this ONCE PREPAIRED PROPPERLY with liquid mollasses and cod liver oil. Get your molasses and cod liver oil from them not the tackle shops will cost u a 10th of it would from the tackle shops.

If u want to ball it in rather than spod it just mix in some good pellets and give it 20 mins then prebait all u want Less than £30 for approx 40kg of prebaiting :D

Save yourself even more money and buy a sack of Vitalin dog food (in the yellow sack). That will definitely stay in your swim, especially if you scald it in a bucket and then compress it.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.