Frustration

DannyS

Had a very frustrating day yesterday. Fishing a very cramped swim between two trees onto the edge of a sunken willow. Swim had about 5 huge barbel and several large chub. The problem was a sunken branch in front of me with most fish sitting directly under or just past. No matter what I tried I couldnt get my hookbait close enough to the fish because of the flow. My first cast got me chub of 4lb, but this was one of the smaller ones. The barbel moved in later and were all at least double figures. The only way I could get any where near them was to hold the rod and the end of the but, line in hand and ease the weight down as close to the branch as possible. Some of the fish would occasionally drift back, but not far enough.

Tried shorteneing the hooklength, moving the weight nearer the hookbait to get it down quickly, freelined and even floating crust to try and tempt the chub up.

Any advise about how to get the bait down as quickly as possible?

The problem is not the weight. I can drop a weight right by the branch but the flow pulls hooklength away from where they are feeding. Tried different weights and found that the larger bombs actually attracted the fish but then lose interest when they discover its not edible!

Could the fish be drawn up above the branch by heavy feeding or with a feeder. If the fish were moving up to the lead maybe a method feeder might work?

When I used to fish matches on the Thamse a lot if ever I drew a swim with a tree I would always feed short of the tree and try to draw the fish out. Only when this had failed would I put on the tow rope and go closer to the snags.

[ 04. July 2005, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: A Worm On One End........ ]

can you not wade in to fish?

or, pre-bait it or go for broke fill it it in see if they get there heads down,sit on your hands till dusk and then place your hookbait.

one other method sometimes works...spook them away from the snag!,bait up downstream or upstream (this is the difficult bit determing wich way they will go) and spook thenm out of the snags stones bit of noise,the chub will take some catching after but the barbel will be catchable i think. worth a go.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Thanks guys.

Had go around the other side of the willow to try and roll the bait through, the disovered another log right in the way!

The branch is only about 6 inchs` below the surface running right across the river, but the method might work if I can lower it in gently. They are very cautious fish and will only drift back now and agian (usually when I am re-baiting).

Wading is out as the water is about 6ft from the bank and shallows up towards the other side which is out of bounds.Due to family commitments I had to leave around 2pm so didnt have the time to pre-bait, but that sounds like the best solution.

Basically, they have found a nice safe spot under a tree with two barriers either side.

I will get one.I will.

I will take a picture next time to show the swim better.

As for the location I hope you understand that I would like to keep that to myself for the time being.

danny,

so wadeing is out,ok not up for scaring them out?

if it really is that snaggy,then it might be best to leave em be as hard as it is.

i really would try pre-baiting up stream of them.good luck

a pic will help,be able to see how to approach it then.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!