BEATING MY 'PB'!!!

JeffB

Hi all,

OK, I have fished for the Pike for many years and have had plenty of late singles and a couple of doubles with my PB standing at 11Lb. Basically I am busting to beat my PB but for no want of trying I just can't seem to find those bigger fish...

I have a very good hit rate in respect that I rarely, if ever, lose a fish once I've hooked it so that's not the problem, so it's down to the fact that I'm just literally not intercept those bigger fish...???

Whether I'm dead-baiting, Live-baiting (which I rarely do these days) or lure fishing, in either lake or river, I can almost always snag a few Jacks when I'm out with most trips usually turning up a nice fish between 6 to 9Lb... Still, that illusive bigger Pike never seems to find my bait/lure?

I am very concious about presentation and always arm myself with a good selection of baits and lures. I even recently tried to take a more mobile approach to my pike fishing understanding that covering water is a good idea... Oh, and I know of and have seen caught some very good fish in the places I'm fishing so I know they are there to be had!!!

I'm sure you get my drift so I'll shut up with my winging and ask if there's any advice that you'd kindly share that might help me finally crack my PB???

THANKS,

JEFF

[ 29. September 2005, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: JeffB ]

I noticed your from Essex. there are one or two essex venues that have bigger pike, particularly the river lea, or the Warren at stanford although i have not fished it for a while so it may have changed.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I suspect, Jeff, that you need to go where there are big pike. However, don't expect people to publically tell you where to find them, never a wise move, unless they want to destroy a fishery. You will need to put your Miss Marple's head on !

Pete,

I know what you mean, tell one person and the whole world turns up with the enevitable cow-boys who don't have a clue how to safely treat and handle a Pike...

I reckon it's time to buy an Ordinance Survey map and get hunting...

That said, I know the venues I fish hold much bigger pike but I can't seem to attract them, what's your thoughts on that???

Do you smoke Jeff? Tobacco MIGHT be tainting your baits. Sounds like you are doing everything that might reasonably be expected of you. Rub fish oil into your hands before handling baits and lures.

Catching bigger pike isn't always about doing the right thing, more a case of being there at the right time.

Big pike are only big pike because they have been left alone, or they are wise pike. They only feed when they want to, and the right triggers have moved into place, like incoming bad weather.