Jonah's Hat

Gillies

Had an afternoon/evening out fishing on Tuesday - with a catch which mainly was made up of around 20 or so Haddock, 10 or so Whiting and 51 Herring.

Once we got bored catching Haddock and Whiting (it was basically drop to the bottom - wait a few seconds, and you had one or two on) - we went in search of Herring. After 2-3 stops of what looked to be Herring on the sounder (and turned out to be wee Coalies), we eventually found them, and were bringing in full houses of them.

One of the anglers hat fell into the water just out of landing nets reach during the Herring action - and someone joked to leave it or we won't catch anymore - when the hat did come back aboard, somehow the Herring action was not to frantic - talk about tempting fate !!! :D

Very enjoyable couple of hours at sea - other species putting in an appearance were Cod, Ling, Torsk, Red & Grey Gurnard, Mackerel, Pollack, Cuckoo Wrasse, Sandeel and numerous Coalfish - oh, and I got the usual Octopus :)

Gillies :)

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Well done, and it sounds like you had a good time. I once drift-fished off the coast of southern Oregon and had a day like that, catching ling cod, bluefish, etc. The charter captain apologized for what he felt was a sub-par day, but we filled a box with fish. I suppose his expectations were higher than mine.

Ken

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain