Nominet Charges

Elton

Anyone ever heard of this? I asked an ISP to amend the records to show that I am the billing contact on a couple of domains that I am transferring away from them:

quote:

I note your comment but I should warn you that if you are the billing contact, you will be charged £80.00 + VAT as you are not a member of Nominet.

In all the years that I have been on the 'net, I have never heard of this. Have I just been lucky?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Elton about three years ago they started up with free regestration but u had to use there telephone nummber isp

I got a domain name and had to pay , year on year I droped it I have contact details if you wasnt just email me The wally :) Private joke everyone :)

MDG

MdgFishing

Keeper Of Maggots & Old Codger to Boot

IPB Image

My Fishy Gallery

Best Wishes & Tight Lines

mdgfishing working digi-darkroom.com

mdgfishing@hotmail.com

What I'm struggling to understand is the charge itself.

I own, probably, over 100 domains. UK ones usually cost me about £6 for two years and others cost me around £17.

Where does this £80 come from?

What is 'being a member of Nominet'?

Cheers for your help,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Guest NickInTheNorth

The official charge from Nominet for a domain name registration is £80 + VAT.

Any registration handled by a Nominet member who is also a Nominet tag holder is charged at a discounted rate the lowest rate I have heard of is £2.99 per year.

The discounted rate is officially (Elton you have a PM giving the real reason) because the tag holder is then responsible for the admin and billing of the domains and it therefore greatly reduces the admin costs. Most tag holders are ISP's who make money to cover the admin and billing via their other services.

Very easy to become a member (but costs £400 to join and then £100 per year) and register for a tag, which then allows entreprenurial folk to maybe earn a pound or two from registrations etc.

Take a look at this page for more details.

HTH

[ 24. April 2003, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: NickInTheNorth ]