Help! What is this?

Pangolin

Every time I use the internet, this thing keeps appearing on the screen. It isn't a virus (I've had the computer certified 'clean'). It began appearing when Freeserve became Wanadoo. I've tried the Wanadoo helpline, but they don't understand it. It is easy to get rid of, by clicking on the X, top right: it then tells me the program is not responding, and I have to click on 'end now'. It can happen four or five times to me per internet visit, and it's driving me mad. In desperation, I've photographed 'the thing' on my screen!

DSCF0034.jpg

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

Can't make out the name for sure. What is the letter/number after SURF and before -1?

At a guess and since you came up virus free, spyware. Google for ad-aware and spybot downloads. Get both. Install, immidiately update, and then run.

Ad-aware - remove all it finds.

Spybot (and the new version probably doesn't have an update yet) - just remove the items it flags in red.

Part of the spybot setup routine will ask about letting it immunize your PC against a shed load of known spyware. Let it. About 1800 of the things will be blocked from ever bothering you again.

Since this is running from a temp folder, dump all of them including your temporary internet files.

If your operating system has a system restore feature, turn it off and back on to empty the system restore cache. Then force creation of a restore point since you will have dumped all the existing ones.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Just a thought, but have you done a search to see if it's surfairy thats coming up. I had trouble last year with that one and it took me ages to find it. That was by the way before I installed and ran ad-aware or spy-bot. Just a thought.

"The early bird catch's the worm.............................................................................but the second mouse gets the cheese"

"Amatuers built the ark...........................................................................................................proffessionals built the titanic"

"All mushrooms are edible..........................................................................................................................some only once"

I think it is 'surfairy': I just did a search, and the computer told me surfairy is already installed and operating. Is this something I want and, if not, how do I get rid of it (step by step for a PC novice, ta)?

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

Newt:

...  Google search for ad-aware and spybot downloads.  Get both.  Install, immidiately update, and then run.

Ad-aware - remove all it finds.

Spybot (and the new version probably doesn't have an update yet) - just remove the items it flags in red.

Part of the spybot setup routine will ask about letting it immunize your PC against a shed load of known spyware.  Let it.  About 1800 of the things will be blocked from ever bothering you again.

Since this is running from a temp folder, dump all of them including your temporary internet files.

If your operating system has a system restore feature, turn it off and back on to empty the system restore cache.  Then force creation of a restore point since you will have dumped all the existing ones.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President