Zoo Creature

Guest Daveangler1

Guest Neil Foley

Dave and Pete,

Your comments on rig lengths fired up an old question in my mind. I know some very successful bassers (older generation) around my parts that fish a slack line, presumably to give almost zero resistance. Now I don't know their method of bite detection for this style and don't like the idea of deep hooked fish but have either, or anyone else, heard or know of this method?

BTW I had a very good fish whilst spinning last week. I'll wait and let the pictures do the talking once I get them! Smug git I hear you say! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Neil.

------------------

Neil's Angling Site - Irish Shore and Freshwater Fishing

Guest Daveangler1

Good idea about the slack line effect but it would be quite difficult when there is a good tide running, also a bit hard when fishing into a minefield of rocks and boulders, if you'd seen some of the places i,ve cast into at low water you'd think twice about fishing into it again, but these places hold the fish, so i,m prepared to lose a bit of tackle now and again(only loose a swivel and hooks cause i use a rock as a weight on these marks).

I'm definitly gonna give the slack line one a go though and see how i get on, always in the market for new ideas.

Cheers Dave

Guest Neil Foley

Dave,

The slack line method seems to be used on calmer evenings in summer and obviously on clean sandy beaches (90% of my own region). Reckon I might set up an extra rod for this method and see how it goes. Let me know how you get on with it if you do give it bash.

Good luck,

Neil.

------------------

Neil's Angling Site - Irish Shore and Freshwater Fishing

Guest petechinnock

How did you get on Last Thursday???? didn't read the board till today 18/09 Hope you were successful.

I've tried running ledgers and find them to much of a pig to cast especially with heavy leads/big baits I tend to go the other way and fish either the smallest size breakaway i can get away with (2-3oz) of if the bottoms cleanish just a plain lead and let it roll. The small breakaway route can take some time to get right before the optimum weight is found especially when fishing Seatown/Chesil cos of the undertow but when it's right then i find it effective. Just made up some drilled bullet rigs that I'm going to try (on a carprod/baitrunner setup) just got to find some time to go fishing

Tight lines

Pete

Guest Daveangler1

Eh-up Pete,

Didn't go in the end, too wet and windy, definitly going to go to Abbotsbury on Wed 18th for the evening if you fancy popping down, will be towards 'Dragons Teeth'.

Just going to post a new topic in a moment, take a look and see if you can give some advice.

Cheers Dave

slack line for bass,cast a ledger reel in gently till you feel weight,now disengage reel and pull off three feet of line and hold between finger and thumb gently keep in contact with lead your other hand controls the reel, a take is felt by thumb and finger give line from reel. rod in hand at all times

hello Neil, if its rough a grip lead otherwise a plain one. i use the same set up for cod fishing in rough seas easy to feel the bites, but hard on the arms fishy