unable to get right click for new folders/short cuts

peterpikefisher

hi guys especaly newt can you help me i am unable to get create newfolder/short cut on my desk top

pc formatted after problems with video card

os win me fully updated when i right click i get all options except new shortcut ,folder

thanks for any help

pete.

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

I think IanR may well have nailed it. Take a look at the thread Here.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

thats great but how do i add the missing dll file

newt or how do i add the reg info.

thanks pete.

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

You do it by running regedt32.exe, or Registry Editor, selecting the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTDirectoryBackgroundshellexContextMenuHandlersNew (Default)

string, and inserting the value for (Default) as{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}

WARNING: If you're not sure what you're doing here, I'd ask someone who is to do it for you, as even the slightest mistake can seriously damage your Operating System, and could even render your PC unbootable.

Cheers

Ian.

hi ian i got into the reg edit but can only get as far asHKEY_CLASSES_ROOTDirectoryBackgroundshellexContextMenuHandlers

it aint got the new etc

is it ok to modify this one or do i have to add any thing

thanks pete

cpranim.gif

Pete

I DON'T want to do this, so if this goes wrong, don't blame me; I don't normally give this advice in writing, I do it "hand's on", but as we've got this far......

BACK-UP all your personal files to a CD, or other medium,first.

You'll have to be logged on as Administrator to do this.

Make sure that your System Restore in ON.

If you are CERTAIN that the NEW key is not there:

Get to where you were before, ie, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTDirectoryBackgroundshellexContextMenuHandlers, and highlight it.

Then go to edit (top of screen) create, New>Key. Then Type "New" for the key name. Then highlight the newly created "New" key. You should then see an entry for default. Highlight that, and then click on Edit>Modify. In the box that appears, type "{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}" without the quotes. Recommend that you copy and paste. Then click OK. Then go to Registry>Exit, and save when prompted.

Reboot.

Cross your fingers.

Again: WARNING: Editing the registry can seriously damage your PC.

I also strongly suggest that you get a confirmation from someone else in the forum, or another IT pro/savvy, before attempting this. Newt?

Cheers

Ian.

[ 21. January 2005, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: IanR ]

Exactly correct IanR. Here are a few pictures to help things out.

You probably do not have 'New' where it shows on mine. If not, add it as directed. If it is there, you'll just need to make the change shown in the last picture.

Note that these are from an XP machine so things may look a tiny bit different on ME.

an-reg1.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

an-reg2.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And you would simply type New in the highlighted box. Case sensitive though so that exact word.

an-reg3.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then since default will automatically be created, you just need to set a value for it. Probably best to copy the one from above and paste it in the block so you don't have to worry about typos.

an-reg4.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note that while messing about in the registry needs to be done carefully, it is not rocket science. Here, for instance, a wrong key might mess up your video but won't blow up your machine and you have a chance to correct it.

I do suggest making a complete backup of your registry though so you can reload a good copy if needed. Luckily it is pretty easy.

With the registry editor open and before you start messing with adding the new key, go to the top line, click on File, on Export, pick a name and location you can remember, and OK. Congratulations - you have just made a full backup of your registry and if things go bad, regedit again, click on File, on Import, point to the file you just made, and it will restore what you have now.

[ 21. January 2005, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President