DVD Camcorders

David C

I'm thinking of buying a camcorder that records straight onto 8cm DVD-R/RW discs, Do these discs play OK in normal PC's or DVD players. Also could I edit/copy them onto normal size discs with nero as I would with normal DVD discs.I'm a complete beginner when it comes to camcorders so any help welcome.

Thanks

the only advice i can give on dvd camcorders is dont bother! stick with mini dv tapes for now, get yourself a dvd burner on your pc, hey presto the best of both worlds, cheap media and disc masters.

you need an editing package like (at its most basic) windows movie maker, or (a bit more sophisticated) avid express or adobe premiere

pipe the video into your pc using firewire or usb 2, then edit it, then durn it onto a dvd

If the camera records as a ready to play proper DVD, then it cannot be edited, only copied to a full size DVD. You cannot edit DVD VOB files. (Unless the camera has limited on-board editing facilities prior to confirming the recording). You would have to switch the format to MPEG, thereby losing any benefit over Mini DV Tapes anyway.

As Jeepster said, don't bother, stick with Mini DV Camcorders.

Cheers

Ian.