outlook express

Friend of my is having problems with outlook express.

For some reason the pop server keeps changing to something like 10.70.0 instead of the pop.ntlworld.com and the username keeps getting the @ntlworld.com added to it.

Ive reset the setting and all works til the computer is restarted then it goes back to the wrong server name.

The computer is running xp with 3 users 2 of the users work fine just the user that keeps going wrong.

running Mcafee antivirus/secruity centre

Ive done a system restore to a point where everything was working fine but still no joy

Any ideas anyone? cos its got me stumped I just can't get my head round 2 out of the 3 users working and not the third !

Darren

I'm back is fishing like riding a bike? you never forget how?

Ensure that your AntiVirus program is up to date, and let it do a full system scan.

Download Spybot Search and Destroy from here: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Download Adaware from here: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Then disable system restore on the affected machine. Here's how to do that: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...src=sec_doc_nam

Then install and run each downloaded program, having first updated the definitions on each one. Let them correct anything that they find that is marked in red.

Reboot the machine. If all is OK, restore your settings in OE, then re-enable System Restore.

If not, post back.

Cheers

Ian.

[ 10. April 2005, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: IanR ]

Guest jay_con

You think he's been hijacked Ian?

It wont cure it but may help in the future if you make sure that all the available updates are downloaded and installed for xp. Beware service pack 2 though (or so im told). I used to get problems on a weekly basis untill I made sure all security updates were in place.

Guest NickInTheNorth

The IP address that keeps appearing, is it 127.0.0.1 by any chance?

If so I suspect that it might well be your anti-virus software that is changing the settings.

I haven't used McAfee for years, but many AV packages will change your mail settings in the way you are describing.

Ive done all the spyware checks no nastys in there.

The computer is set up to do all the windows updates automatic

Nick you got it in one thats the IP address 127.0.0.1

So its looking like the antivirus I had a try on the mcafee site and got hold of one of the live tech people but not much joy. All I got was it maybe the antispam part of the mcafee and I should make sure all the email accounts are enter in on the antispam program then he logged off!

I done all that and still no luck

The computer came with a 30 day trial of norton on it but as my friend wanted to save some money it he got mcfee on the cheap but has all been working for months

I known the best answer and already told friend SHOULD OF STAYED WITH NORTON!

[ 11. April 2005, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: badexcuseforanangler ]

I'm back is fishing like riding a bike? you never forget how?