paddling trousers/salopettes

spanner

While I was away in Drummore I had some varied weather.

One day was really sunny and I wore my 3mm LJ wetsuit, very comfy, worked a treat.

The other day was much colder and I wore my neoprene waders, mainly because I was going to be doing some shore fishing as well and I coundn't be bothered changing. I found them much warmer, and nice on such a cool day, cept they leak like a seive 'cos they are getting on a bit.

So it got me thinking about getting dry paddling trousers/salopettes for the colder days.

Looking at the cost though made me wonder if breathable waders with a boot foot and wading boots might not be just as good. With a semi-dry cag over the top sealing your waist (which I already have) I guess the fact they dont 'seal' isn't a problem. I could wear as many layers underneath as the weather dictates. They would double up for use as regular waders as well and not just be yakking kit.

Checking a few prices it looks as though I can get breathable waders and boots for the same or less than just paddling salopettes.

What do you guys think? Is there something about paddling salopettes that makes them better?

Have just got hold of a pair of paddle trousers and a cag, only used them a couple of times and have been pleasently surprised with just how warm they keep you, they are both made of a breathable material so no problems with sweating.

If you make a good seal around the ankles they are as watertight as a wetsuit. The best thing is just how light the stuff is, and how comfortable to wear. No rubbing, no tightness around the nuts :) .

Having worn wetsuits for 25+ years, I can honestly say that I have never worn anything that has given as much freedom and comfort.

Can't wait to try out the Winter gear, Salopette version

As for breathable waders, I'd be a little nervous, they are quite baggy and can fill very easily, I've done it many times in the surf, and there is no escape route for the water, I think you would struggle to swim in them. Neoprene waders are different as they are a close fit and will give a certain amount of flotation.

AnglersAfloat has been recently sponsored by Palm, who are also going to pen an article for the site explaining how to best kit ourselves out for the seasons. They have been very excited about this project and I have to say the first lot of gear has not been the most expensive and technical from their range, but it has proved to be very good. Hope it will be of some use to everyone when finally published.

I will be reviewing the kit as well so if it doesn't work I'll let you know. :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Thanks for that, I'll be interested in seeing what you think of their stuff.

I agree, some waders can be baggy, but some are reasonably snug and that is what I was looking at. I was thinking I'd be able to avoid them filling up as I'd have a semi-dry cag over the top and being chesties they would be well up under the cag waist.

Mind you, thats a good point about if they did fill, there is no way to empty them without climbing right out.

[ 01. July 2005, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: spanner ]

Providing your cag and trousers are sealed properly compared to a wetsuit I think it's a safer option in the event that you lose your kayak and are left in the water - you will lose less energy staying warm if you are have the right thermal layers worn underneath.

Another benefit of dry wear is that as its light & comfortable you can also drive whilst wearing it. You don't have to get changed again at the launch point if you don't want to.

Look forward to reading the article Starvin. If I can persuade my Mrs to come winter cod fishing I'll be looking to get her a dry cag and trousers.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

I take it that you just get wet feet when you are wearing slaopettes/trousers? Do you just wear neoprene boots to keep your tootsies warm?

How about wading boots and waterproof socks? I've got sealskinz which I wear regularly and they are brilliant, but would I be able to get a seal around the top of them? I just looked at the Palm XT Combi Dry Pants ('cept really they are salopettes) and they have a latex ankle seal with neoprene protective cover. Does that mean I'd get the latex round my ankle, the sealskinz over that and the neoprene over that to semi-seal my feet?

Just asking so many questions as I will have to buy mail order and won't get the chance to try anything on first

Boots wise I haven't had the chance to try them out, as the ones supplied were to small, they were the 5mm all round with a zip, nice hard sole which would have been ideal whilst towing up river last week. They also do a 1.5mm kevlar sock.

The XT Combi Dry Pants match to the Extrem L/S Cag, hopefully these will be the ones they supply for the winter test.

Hope to speak to them later today, so will try and find out about the ankle seals.

SM :)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

I wear a dry suit with integrated 'booties' :D so can't comment on this from experience. I think that wearing dry trousers with an ankle seal would make it hard to keep the feet dry.

The way you describe sounds like a good way of doing it if you can keep your feet out of the water for most of the time. I don't think it will be a big deal if they do get wet though.

[ 01. July 2005, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: Speciman ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Funny but I've never suffered with cold feet, my boots are usually filled with water but it soon warms up and stays warm. Hands now that's a different matter all together. :)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

• 1 year later...