Sowley - Central Solent Catch Report

SpeciMan

Paddled up to Sowley this afternoon launching from Tanners Lane near Lymington. Although this was a fishing trip it was also recce as I am unfamiliar with this area.

Went up to the platform out from the wooden posts and anchored there for a good hour or so. The spring tide was ebbing and the current quite strong. Lots of weed made fishing hard and I didn't get any recogniseable bites. Was fishing with sandeel and ragworm.

As the tide went out I moved closer inshore to take a look at features there... waded for a bit but then got back onto the kayak after realising I was in classic stingray country and saw the swirl of a large fish in literally inches of water - too shallow for it to be a bass, smooth hound or mullet.

Then went back near launch point fished about 1/2 mile out from here fairly close to large yellow buoy and caught a bass at 1lb 3oz ..phew didn't blank:) Left when the sun came down.. next time I will consider a night fishing session here with crabs if going for the smoothhound or rag for the stingray. I probably left when it was the best time to arrive (dusk with incoming tide!).

Had chance to test out new waterproof digi camera when I was there.. previous one kicked the bucket a month or so ago :( Some underwater pics came out ok considering visibility in the shallows was not crystal clear. Need to hold her steady though & wipe lens afteruse - pics afterwards were not very bright/clear. Images to follow.

[ 09. July 2005, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: Speciman ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Friendly Welcome!

arrival.jpg

Ready to lauch

readytolaunch.jpg

Looking back after launching:

launchlookingback.jpg

Make it to mark and anchor up. Lots of weed and theres a front heading my way. endofposts.jpg

Sun breaks through and all is well.

sunbreakingthrough.jpg

After hour or so head back to shore and wade around taking pics. Some snails(Cockles!?):

snails.jpg

More snails!

moresnails.jpg

And of course weed!

seaweed.jpg

[ 09. July 2005, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Speciman ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

By this point the tide was really out.

stingraycountry.jpg

Whoops I'm in stingray country. Back onto yak pronto.

Paddle back near launch point and start fishing again. 15mins before leaving I catch a 1lb 3oz bass.. fought like a demon for the size :D

reelnotfish.jpg

[ 09. July 2005, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: Speciman ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Cor, oh to live closer to the sea.. :D

I'll see what we can do to catch you up Speciman - but you are romping ahead. I think you and ZZippy have caught more in one trip than I've caught all year. Something must be done.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Meant to say - pics look pretty good for a comapct digital wrapped up in a tupperware box - like Starvins was. He got condensation on the inside with temperature changes. Is there room for a packet of silica gel? If so, put it in the oven just before you go out and it will have lots of moisture gathering capacity for your trip. Might help.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Simon, it wasn't condensation it was all on the outside of the lens, had the same problem last time out, going to have to keep it out of the coolbox, think I also managed to get a little makeral juice on it in Tywyn.

Going to have to find a cap or take something to wipe the lens, just don't want to end up scratching it.

SM:)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Simon Everett:

Meant to say - pics look pretty good for a comapct digital wrapped up in a tupperware box - like Starvins was. He got condensation on the inside with temperature changes. Is there room for a packet of silica gel? If so, put it in the oven just before you go out and it will have lots of moisture gathering capacity for your trip. Might help.

The camera I have is a purpose built waterproof one. No external housing as such & it looks like a normal compact. For a few quid more than the cost of a lot of housings I bought a waterproof camera. It can't be used for any great depth but for kayaking it seems spot on. I just have to make sure I keep the lens cover free of salt residue or water after its been dunked otherwise the pics have a soft focus to them :D

T3 - optio blurb

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow