marks info

Martin Hurst

Apologies if this has already been discussed. Kayak fishing can now only grow in popularity given the recent publicity in the Angling press. it also stands to reason that the more anglers that see us out there the more will want to give it a go.

Anyway i thing it would be a great idea if one of the websites had a section similar to the marks one on the North wales board. Massive area to cover I know but maybe a photo and directions , distance from car park , ease of launch , danger areas , tides species etc. Obviously without giving away those special locations!!

Ok Prowler 13

JRT - Netters can certainly cause some problems with fish but do you really think the spearfishing folks can take enough to make any difference?

I'd guess that you would stand to learn more about fishy locations from them than the reverse given that they get down amoungst them and would tend to have a good idea on species, sizes, and numbers.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Newt. The fishing over here is alot more fragile than in the US. Bass can make upto £6/lb to consumers so any oik with a boat will clean the place out. Spearos are a nice bunch but its not C&R, they shoot everything they see, especially the larger fish.

FYI, European Bass are extremely slow growing when compared to the US Striped Bass. A 10lb fish will typically be 12-15 years old! Most fish over 5lb are females. Big females = produce more eggs = stronger year classes = more fish. So yes killing large fish has a direct impact on the stocks, especially locally as it has been proven that fish return to the same area year on year.

Europe is probably 15 years behind the US in recognising the value in Bass stocks. Ideally a minimum AND maximum size limit will be introduced to protect the bigger fish. But when English, Irish, French, Spanish fleets all share the same water, enforcement is extremely hard. We don't have an equivalent of the US Coast Guard enforcing it.

Cheers

JRT

photo and directions , distance from car park , ease of launch , danger areas , tides species etc. Obviously without giving away those special locations!!

All information readily available(and probably known to the commercial rabble!) if you have 25 years back issues of Sea angler!! Hardly going to decimate Fish stocks!! Just be good when visiting new areas to have easily accesible info available.

Ok Prowler 13

Thanks JRT. Good info.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

As you said Martin, information is available on most stretches of coastline already. It would be good to have information directly relevant to the kayak fisherman available for the already known marks though - especially access and safety issues. I'm well used to 'localism' rearing its ugly head in some of the other sports I do though.

SOUTHEND PIER. Park on the Seafront,Arrive about two and a half hours before HW.Paddle like xxxx for approx one mile almost due East and you will come to the end :D Mini shrimp lure/feather things for shineys, livebait for spikeys. Dont forget to keep an eye on the tide or you will have a smelly sticky walk back.

The best thing to do is put up a post with the area you are travelling to, if anyone has any knowledge I'm sure that they will send you a PM, that way keeping the area safe from prying eyes.

I've been given a few marks in this way and am very grateful, one or two have been right under my nose and have added to my days fishing in a big way.

Lets not post them, just ask if you need directions.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com