Durley yesterday - dodging boats & Red Arrows

richsurfer

Tried out Durley yesterday - seems like I was the only person who didn't know the Red Arrows were going to be performing at sea level over my head. I wondered why every boat in the area was heading for me - it was like being a tortoise crawling across the motorway . Luckily a big police launch turned up - everyone seemed to slow down - same effect a police car has on traffic - I stuck close to it.

Being out in the yak at the focus point of their display was awesome though :D .

Also caught loads of mackerel :) ,much to the amazement of most of the boaters around.

On a more serious note, what are the best methods of making yourself known to larger craft - I resorted to waving my (red-bladed) paddle in the air.

Hi Rich

If I hadn't been working on my crate I would have been out watching the Arrows yesterday.

I think the best way to be noticed whilst fishing is to have a high vis flag flying. Yakity uses one. I'll make one up at some point too. I'm also fitting an air horn to the yak.

Glad to hear the mackeral were out in full force.

[ 13. August 2005, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: SpeciMan ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Had a Spitfire fly directly over me last year at sea level, it was early evening off Hayling an no one else in sight, what a great noise. :)

Rich, to make sure your seen, bright yak, bright cag, bright PFD, high vis flag, if they don't see you wave your paddle, and get ready to take avoiding action. The horn is a great idea Speciman.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hi Rich.

Sadly, not all boat users are switched on while out on the water.

Some dont have a clue what they are doing out there.

You have to think for them, aswell as yourself, be alert at all times, try and antisipate thier actions.

Not an easy task, but then niether is trying to out paddle a 50 pluss horsepower engine :D

Bless em a ?? :rolleyes::)

I've got a big red malibu 2 and red cag but when it's busy out there something more is needed - it was pretty extreme when I was out though - I was about to head in but the fish started biting and the Arrows turned up.

The flag and air-horn sound like effective, easy additions - I'll have to get them.

Which came first the fish or the Red Arrows? Just think you may have uncovered a novel bait. How do you present a Hawk on a hook... I know.. carefully :D

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)