caper Vs prowler

barramundi

Imdespirate to get a yak.

Ive found that dream mark but cant get to it.

Im just not sure what would be a good starter.

12.5 stone 5 foot 4

good balance and used to surfing and watersports

saltwater flyfishing only.

will want to fish the manacles ultimately so need to fight srong rips etc.

Any thaughts would be appreciated and perhaps second hand tips.

cheers

oz

Hi Barramundi,

I'm slightly lighter but of similar build to you...vertically challenged I believe is the technical term. Have a Caper and Prowler and love them both, the Caper is ligher and a little more stable than the Prowler, it is also a lot wetter.

The Prowler, dryer, heavier and roomier, it is also easier to paddle when things turn ugly.

As for the rips in the area you are talking about, I would suggest getting more information from local boat owners before leaving shore.

As for fly fishing from them, both are excellent, another kayak that may be worth considering is the Scupper Pro TW slightly longer than the Prowler but a lot quicker in the water, very similar to the prototype that Simon Everett has got his hands on.

If you ever want a field trial, of the Caper or Prowler give me a shout, I fish the Portsmouth/Chichester area and you are more than welcome to come and play, all you need is a PFD (life jacket), I'd be glad of the company.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

cheers for the advice.

I may well try to take you up on the demo offer. I live in cornwall but my father lives in portsmouth, we may well be up that way on either the 27 th or 29 th of september.

With regard to PSD's I have a manual trigger crewsaver, would that be suitable?

That will be fine for a demo, but you will probably want something pre inflated when you finally get your kayak, lots of D-Rings and Pockets, Palm, Yak and Fladen all do excellent models that are perfect.

Send me an email or PM when you know more about your visit, will try and get something together.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

imo the fish will be spooked by the presence of a large floating object regardless of colour

when you float you do cast a dark shadow underneath and have a silouette against the sky so colour will make no difference go bright for safty i got a green one only cos the shop had no others plus i heard that sharks are more interested in dark silouettes than couloured ones dunno if its true though

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

I've got the Sky coloured kayak which I thought would look quite natural against the sky from underneath.

As HF pointed out, I'm sure there will always be the shadow element to consider, but I'm counting on the fact that the sun shines out of my.......assuming that this is not the case, I'm sure you should consider the safety aspect.

[ 01. September 2005, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: Fodder ]

I'd go for safety with a bright colour - I've read stuff before on visibility at sea of kayaks and blues/greens just disappear, red is one of the most visible. This applies if you're adrift or in danger of being run over - a real possibility on the S coast.

I was thinking of getting a caper - do users out there think it is a decent fishing yak?

From the spec it looks small and light at 10.5' and 44lbs, which is why I'm interested in it - my malibu II is really too big if I'm out on my own.

The 13' Prowler is nearly the same weight as the malibu II and longer, so I'd have the same problem handling it on land.

Anyone know of any better, lighter fishing yaks?

I went for the green as it was on offer and too hard to resist at only £290 for an ex delivery anglers edition Caper. Next time round I will probably buy a bright coloured yak. Bright paddle blades pfd and a flag will probably get you noticed the most at distance.

The Caper is 11ft long and easy to lift. I have to get mine up and around two flights of stairs. It is certainly a decent fishing yak -- not as much space on board for rigging as with some of the others though. Being quite wide it is very stable but not as fast as the longer slimmer yaks. Speed isn't an issue with me though(putting motor on mine for the longer trips). Speed often comes down to the paddlers level of fitness and ability.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow